Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless connectivity issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jchico

jchico

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

Hello - Hope someone can point me in correct direction. Home laptop has suddenly become very slow - within last day. Work laptop still running very fast using same wireless connection. Background:

Dell Inspiron e1505
Downloaded new card / java updated / windows updates good / scanned with avg 9.0 and superantispyware
windows xp 5.1 with service pack 3

router - netgear wgr614 v6 / encrypted

time warner cable high speed connection

Again - home laptop slow - connection reads 1 mbps / work laptop running normal over same router - connection reads 54 mbps.
have checked interference and readings appear good based on what I can tell. Wired connection on home laptop is also running normal.

I'm not much with computers / networks...so hoping for some guidance. Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LeveledHead

LeveledHead

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

go to speedtest.net and post results here. compare them with results on the other pc.

go to start > run > cmd > ping yahoo.com -n 100
post the "ping statistics" section here

also in the command prompt, type: netstat -s
post active opens
passive opens
current connections

This'll give us an idea whats going on.

#3 jchico

jchico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

LeveledHead -

Thks for your reply...have been working late and not able to check this lately. Any case...I'm a novice and it appears in tyring to tweak something last week I've completely messed up my wireless connection. So to recap...It was terribly slow. I downloaded a new driver among other things mentioned below. I also created a new network SSID and Password...basically reconfigured the whole network. But not I can't even find ANY wireless networks in the area ( I can usally see the neighbors, etc in addition to mine. ). So am sure i've got some problems with setting on my laptop...but I'm not lost.

Sorry for this - but hope we can take a step backwards and you can provide some guidance on getting the network set up again. Then if still slow, we can tackle that issue. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users