Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Officially removing myself from Google...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

I don't feel safe with them. So I am converting myself to Microsoft services.

1. Uninstalled GTalk - only used it at my previous job anyway.
2. Cleared out my Gmail accounts - which took a while to get most of my website memberships switched to my new Hotmail address. I'll do 30 days of auto-forwarding and then close them.
3. Changed default search engine to Bing.

I feel a monkey was just lifted off of my back.

Anyone know how to import a PST into Hotmail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

you know whats funny I always felt safer with google then anything microsoft. . .but theres nothin wrong with switching if you feel hotmails safer I use it to. As far as your question, Im unfamiliar with your terminalogy (call me an idiot if you wish. well jk just think it :thumbsup:) what exactly is a PST?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 JonM33

JonM33
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:32 PM

Let me Bing that for you. JK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.PST

It's the format that MS Office Outlook uses to store e-mail, calendar info and contacts. Mine is about 1.5GB in size and has e-mail from various e-mail accounts that I have had over the years dating back to 2002.

Google used to be trustworthy when they were small, just a search engine. But now?

1. Their Google search engine tracks everything. Every search you make the IP address and search string is recorded in their databases. If you are logged into Google while you search, it is adding that to the tracked information. They even tied that to your credit card and banking information through Google Checkout. With websites you search for and go to, it attaches a cookie to your browser. I just looked on Opera and every single website had a Google cookie attached to it.

2. Their Google Chrome web browser installs a process in the background that tracks everything on your computer. It is the only application I have ever seen that will NOT give you an option of where to install it (ie C:\Program Files). It installs itself under YOUR user profile. Then it creates a process that runs at startup and that process tracks everything you do.

3. Gmail is all in the cloud on their servers. By default Gmail is set to keep e-mail if you use an e-mail client to check e-mail through POP3. They don't want you removing e-mail off of their servers.

4. Then you have the Android OS from Google to track cell phones. Google also has a GPS app.

5. Their Google Maps went around taking pictures of streets and Google Earth has layouts of military bases.

6. They are going around to major hospitals trying to take over as an IT resource, promising companies unlimited e-mail and storing company documents under Google Docs - all stored in the cloud. They are doing this to undermine Microsoft but why hospitals with patient information?

7. Their Google Talk application tracks every chat session you have.

Do you know how many companies Google has acquired that literally look as if Google is trying to take over the way the world communicates? It's all extremely intrusive.

Edited by JonM33, 07 August 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

I do have some questions concerning googles ethics, on the one hand your right they do seem to keep track of way to much information. As far as map making eh theyre being thorough, and most if it im sure is pure business-theyre trying to make money the fastest, brutalist way possible, kinda like a bull in a china shop Im afraid. I dont blame you for not using them you bring up valid points. the positive I can think about though, is they do have the backbone to tell china to shove it when they wanted to use google to spy on their own citizens.

ANyway, maybe this can answer your question about PST files. If not Ill keep looking for you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 JonM33

JonM33
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Indeed, they were once a very good company IMO. They were one of the only webmail providers that offered an incredible amount of storage and also free POP3 (and eventually IMAP) use.

But over the years they have become more and more of a monopolistic monster - spreading their hands into everything they can. I know that is the nature of any large company and even Microsoft is well guilty of buying up (or trying to) competition. The problem I have with Google is that it is strictly personal information that they are hoarding. One project after another that they acquire is all about the way people communicate.

The latest was Google Buzz - a social networking app built into Gmail. It allowed for people to publicly view your contact list.

Seriously, Google has turned into the six headed monster in the past few years.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

that being said, did that link I gave you help you out any?

picard5.jpg

#7 JonM33

JonM33
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

No, that is only for contacts unfortunately. I don't see a tool within Hotmail to do it.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

ya, after doing a little more digging Im not finding any tools to do that with either, either offered by microsoft or third party. Sorry.

picard5.jpg

#9 JonM33

JonM33
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

No problem. Thanks for trying to find a solution for me. The more I think of it anyway, the less of my personal information in the cloud the better. I always backup the PST once a week anyway.

Edit- Seriously, here is another: http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/06/technology...oogle/index.htm

Google announced Friday that it has agreed to purchase social networking app maker Slide for an undisclosed amount.

The deal marks the latest try for the search giant to make some headway into the world of social networking. So far, Google has mostly failed in its attempts, including the poorly received Orkut and Google Buzz. Though the terms weren't disclosed, various new reports have put the value at between $180 million and $230 million.

Google's announcement comes several weeks after Google also made an investment in social app leader Zynga, reportedly worth $150 million. Zynga has a user base of 268 million, five times the nearest competitor.

At the Techonomy conference in Tahoe, Calif., on Wednesday, Google CEO Eric Schmidt explained generally what the search site is trying to do improve its social networking strategy.

It's like they are trying to take over the planet.

Edited by JonM33, 07 August 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

It's like they are trying to take over the planet.

What google try to take over the planet no.. Of course they are, they want to be a part of everything one day you are gonna see everything with a google logo on it. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#11 JonM33

JonM33
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

That's what I am afraid of. Actually, maybe this is...

Posted Image

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

:inlove: :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:57 AM

IMHO (all) web browsers are tracking you and gather as much information as possible. Some information as dictated by governments and some information for dollars. There might be times we don't know how a browser is doing it. It doesn't matter if you are browsing, instant messenger, sharing photos, email, ect. there is a very good chance of tracking and storing without your permission. I always try to keep in mind if I receive it or send it there is a very good chance that some unauthorized system is using and storing it. No I'm not paranoid, just a realist. To me cloud security is scary at best. That being said. I think that cloud computing thing will be around for a very long time. To me cloud computing is like throwing a hand full of sand in the air and trying to control where all the grains go and what they do.

#14 JonM33

JonM33
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

I don't believe that other browsers do this. Why? Google Chrome uses what you enter into the address bar to fish advertising back at you. Google owns DoubleClick, an ad company. They use your private information to make profit.

The open source versions, Chromium and SRWare Iron, do not feature this type of tracking.

#15 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

So in the long run people are going to distrust google and move to the next great idea. Then that great idea will see that there is money to be made off of you and will start to track your information.... see what im getting at. As long as there is money to be made people will do what they can to take it. Google may be skynet in its youth, but until they build a cyborg I'm more then happy to let them track what they want from me.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users