Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer stuck in continous loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BQfromNY

BQfromNY

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

After a bout with a virus it was suggested that I create a restore point and remove all old restore points. It was also suggested that I switch to a different browser. So, I dled firefox but before I installed it I was directed to remove an old version of firefox which I did. I also removed google toolbar and thats when the trouble began. I removed both with windows add/remove feature. Well, now when I boot the computer up I get an error message saying "Windows explorer has stopped working" then it changes to "Windows explorer is restarting" and it gets stuck in a loop. All the while it does not allow me to access anything on my laptop unless I go through the task manager. I was able to run MB and Iam clean. I have been unable to resolve this on my own.. please advise.

Toshiba Satalite Laptop
Windows Vista SP2 believed to fully updates (I think I recently updates as well in case that matters)

== BQ ==

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Try this - type "msconfig" into the run box. Go to the startup tab, disable everything. Then go to the services tab, check "hide all microsoft services", then disable everything still showing. Reboot.

This will show us if it's something you installed or if it's the OS.

#3 BQfromNY

BQfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

First let me say TY for helping me!

I did wat you asked and rebooted.. Iam still getting the error.

#4 CohenTheBarbarian

CohenTheBarbarian

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

try running "sfc /scannow".

are you sure are your malware issues are cleared up?

#5 BQfromNY

BQfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

I already sfc scanned and it says I do have corrupted files but they can not be repaired.. I cant remember where it put the log but if you tell me I will post it.

And, Iam 99.9% sure we got all the virus... I had someone here help me. However, this did happen immediately after I was infected and was in the cleanup process of the work we did.

#6 BQfromNY

BQfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

FYI - spybot also says Iam clean

#7 BQfromNY

BQfromNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

SOLVED! However.. I feel I need a real good "cleaning" after all this tweaking.. any advise?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users