Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update blocked, browser redirecting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 NickElliott

NickElliott

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to fix an infected PC for one of my work colleagues. The PC is running Windows XP Home SP3 and has a working version of McAfee Security Center. There are 3 active user accounts on the machine.

They brought me the computer at the end of June complaining that McAfee was reporting a problem and the browser (IE) was re-directing to random websites. Through a combination of rkill, Malwarebytes, CCleaner etc. I was able to return the machine to what I thought was working order, it seemed that the website re-direction was caused by an infected Google toolbar.

Unfortunately the machine is back again and I have taken another look at it. Malwarebytes reports the machine is clean, I think have removed all suspicious startup entries and McAfee reports it is ok.

Typing a web address directly into IE works except for the Windows Update website which posts an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message with the standard "Diagnose connection problems" button.

If you search from the Google website the search links work however if you use the built-in IE search (which is using Google) clicking the links takes you to random websites.

So it looks like I never got rid of the problem in the first place. Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users