Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple advice question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dg55117

dg55117

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Hello all-
Great resource. Have an old Pavillion laptop XP SP2 which was SLOW! I used all the tips here and it is smoking fast now- THANKS!!!! I had lots of things running in the background and a few viruses as well. All is good now but I completely removed Norton and have turned off windows firewall for now. My question is what should I have for a firewall? Or should I turn back on the Windows firewall- and is that a good one? Lastly, what AV program should I download and won't slow things down like Norton and that csvhst stuff?
Thanks for any suggestions

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Windows firewall is adequate, other than for those users who want much more detail/control.

As for AV...I've seen both Avira Free and Avast recommended by knowledgeable persons.

Louis

#3 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:07 AM

Try Comodo's firewall. I wouldn't recommend their antivirus (I've heard from too many people that it's gotten very ineffective, though I haven't used it myself). I run Comodo myself, and have found it pretty easy to use.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Choosing a firewall is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability/experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.

Windows XP firewall protects against port scanning but has limitations and it is no replacement for a robust 3rd-party two-way personal firewall.
  • The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XPís firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.
  • The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls.
  • Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.
    • This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.
  • By default, Windows Firewall rejects all incoming traffic unless that traffic is in response to a previous outgoing request. If you're running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. If your Firewall is not turned on by default, then your using an unpatched OS and need to update your system to SP2.
Windows Vista Firewall offers two-way filtering for better security but its the bare minimum and still limited. By default, most outbound filtering is turned off (outbound connections are allowed) and inbound filtering is turned on (inbound connections are blocked). Configuration is confusing and there is no practical way to to configure outbound filtering to stop all unwanted outbound connections. You can only turn inbound filtering on or off, and through the various tabs, configure how inbound filtering works. If you are going to use Vista's firewall, see Using Windows Vista firewall. If not, see How to turn off the firewall in Vista.

Windows 7 Firewall is similar to Vista but adds a few new features in the firewall and related network-safety areas such as separate configuration settings for private (Home or Work) and public networks.

As with Vista, the basic settings for the Windows 7 firewall are accessed via the Control Panel applet. Unlike Vista, you can also access the advanced settings (including configuration of filtering for outbound connections) through the Control Panel instead of having to create an empty MMC and add a snap-in...

The Vista firewall allows you to choose whether you are on a public or private network. With Windows 7, you have three choices - public network, home network or work network. The two latter options are treated as private networks...With all network types, by default the Windows 7 firewall blocks connections to programs that are not on the list of allowed programs. Windows 7 allows you to configure the settings for each network type separately,...

What's new in the Windows 7 Firewall?Since have questions about using a firewall, you may want to read:Supplemental reading:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users