Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I would like to hide my internet identity

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:35 AM

Hi,

I am now on Twitter and Facebook and would like to know how to completely hide my identity, including any hidden things that track my identity.

I have read some tutorials here, but am not sure what the best method is.

Preference: not slow down computer too much. However, if it has to, and I can specify when I want to be hidden and when it is okay not to be, then that is probably okay too.

Thanks!
Firetooth

windows xp sp3, avast, zonealarm, firefox, malwarebytes
note: I use echophon add-on to notify me when the people I follow on Twitter tweet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

I'm sorry. I don't completely understand. Do you mean hide your identity by adjusting your privacy settings in facebook and twitter, or do you mean hiding you ip address with a proxy or vpn?

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hi tommy28

I wasn't sure WHAT I meant! But now I know I meant hide my IP address. And if there are any other tracking things I don't even know about, work around those too. But I would like to start by hiding my IP address. I just did a search here on "hide IP address." There are various responses to this query in past, but one answer says if you are on a dsl line all you have to do is unplug and replug it and you will have a new address. Is this true? I do have a DSL line going directly into my computer.

Thanks for all help!

Firetooth

Edited by Firetooth, 09 August 2010 - 08:47 AM.

#4 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

You would have to leave it unplugged for a while to get a new ip. Typically you will receive the same one that you had. I would suggest trying hotspotshield.com. It is a free vpn that will hide your IP for you. You can turn it on and off when you would like. I think it will do everything that you need to protect yourself. You will have to deal with a few ads because it is free, but the ads aren't to bad. I suggest going to whatismyipaddress.com before turning it on to see what your ip is, and after you turn it on to make sure it has changed. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users