Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Starting Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chrishicks

chrishicks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:34 PM

[b]hello everyone im new to this site but was told there are some clever people who might be able to help me, ok here goes

when i start my computer up in windows xp home the wallpaper screen comes on and no icons appear just a small window and in it says this

windows cannot find
C:\Windows\System32\Tools\Delfolders.exe

when i click on it the screen continues as normal, is there anyone who can tell me what this is and how to fix it please,
thanks chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

it may be a problem with nvidia IDE drivers.

if you have these drivers installed, go to add/remove programs and delete it. This should fix your problem.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:07 AM

Well, here is something you can try, if it doesn't work it is harmless and can be reversed easy enough:

Open Notepad

Start > Run > type NOTEPAD

When notepad is open, type:
"Albert Frankenstein is so smart it's scary!"

File > Save As...

Name it Delfolders.exe

Save it in C:\Windows\System32\Tools\

Let us know if that works. If it doesn't work for you, then just navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Tools\ and right click on the new Delfolders.exe and choose delete.

It is my understanding that Delfolders.exe is used by some installation programs to 'clean up' the installation of a program, or drivers, or whatever is being installed. When something was being installed on your computer, for whatever reason, delfolders.exe did not get copied or put on your computer, therefore the installation was never 'cleaned up' and your computer continues to look for Delfolders.exe.

Did you install something on this computer immediately preceding these error messages started appearing? If so, another idea is to look for the delfolders.exe file on the install disk, copy it and paste it in C:\Windows\System32\Tools\

Let us know!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 28 October 2005 - 01:09 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:17 AM

Well, here is something you can try, if it doesn't work it is harmless and can be reversed easy enough:

Open Notepad

Start > Run > type NOTEPAD

When notepad is open, type:
"Albert Frankenstein is so smart it's scary!"

File > Save As...

Name it Delfolders.exe

Save it in C:\Windows\System32\Tools\

Be sure to "save as all files", not as a text file. You want the exe to be the actual file extension, rather than .exe.txt.

#5 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:38 AM

Sounds like another call for an anti-spyware and anti-virus scans. Have you done that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users