Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 boot lag at startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xpbootlag

xpbootlag

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:29 AM

That was kinda the reason, why I did a clean install of Windows in the first place. Did it yesterday. Well.. the problem kinda is that Windows boots normally to that screen: "Loading your personal settings" , stays there for about 1-2 minutes and then goes to desktop. Before I installed the programs, it booted kinda in light speed :D I've checked msconfig and ticked out what weren't necessary: http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3848/services.png and http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4859/processn.png Didn't touch the Windows services, coz I'm not sure about them. When I come back, I'll give you the program list, what I installed. I have a computer with Quad CPU, 4GB RAM, 8800GT, so it should boot pretty fast, it did, before I installed the programs.

So.. I formatted the HD, installed the Windows XP SP2, the first thing I did, was installing the motherboard and graphic's card drivers, then I installed all necessary Windows Updates including SP3, unticked what weren't necessary in my point of view and then started to install programs. Here's the list of programs that I have installed:
ESET Smart Security
Microsoft Word 2007
Mozilla Firefox
uTorrent
Windows Live Messenger
GIMP
GOM Player
TeamSpeak 3
BSPlayer
VLC Media Player
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2
Winamp
Nero v7
Replay Media Catcher
Adobe Photoshop CS2 and CS5
Audacity
Daemon Tools
DVD Shrink
EVEREST
Fraps
Irfanview
iTunes
MozBackup
TeamViewer
XChat
CClaner
MBAM
Spybot - S&D
SuperAntiSpyware
AutoGK
DVD Decrypter
SUPER
So.. did one of these programs affected the boot time?
I really hope you guys can help me.. or I have to install the clean Windows again :thumbsup:

Edited by xpbootlag, 07 August 2010 - 03:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

Installed programs don't have impact on your computer startup time, however those, which are set as startups, do.

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Edited by Broni, 08 August 2010 - 10:56 AM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 xpbootlag

xpbootlag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

Ok, here's the AutoRuns log you asked for.

Attached Files

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Basically, you have only 3 type of non-MS startups: nVidia, Realtek (audio) and NOD.
First two are a must, so the only item, which may slow down your startup would be NOD.

For testing purposes...
Disconnect ethernet cable, go back to "msconfig" and disable all NOD's startups and services.
Restart computer.
Faster?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 xpbootlag

xpbootlag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Ok, I disconnected the net cables, went to msconfig and disabled all NOD's startups and services and then made restart. It booted much faster. Then I enabled all the NOD's services and startups and then made restart, it booted the same. Then I connected the net cables and enabled NOD's services and made restart, then it booted a bit slowly than before. Seems that.. when I'm connected to the Internet, it boots a bit slowly.

What I'm saying is.. it's booting much faster than before, I don't think I can get it boot faster? Or can I?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

It looks to me like NOD is simply keeping an eye on your computer.
I guess, you can either switch to something else, or leave it alone.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users