Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Freezes At Startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luvbug

luvbug

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

You guys/gals helped me so much with my other problem......so Im back!! LOl

I have Windows ME.........sometimes when I turn my PC on, it will freeze up........lately I have noticed it does it during the download of Trillian........it doesnt do it every time.I dont think its Trillian cause it done it a couple times before I started using Trillian.

Any advice/suggestions on what I need to do?? A friend at work told me to go to the windows site and theres a patch to download that will fix it, but I couldnt find what she was talking about.

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:43 AM

In IE go to Toos>windows update. Follow the on screen prompts. Which anti-virus and anti-spyware do you run? What is listed in MSCONFIG>startup

Edited by acklan, 28 October 2005 - 01:45 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:35 AM

I have Norton 2005 and I use Ad-Aware and Spybot.

Thanks for replying.

#4 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:06 AM

Can you describe where exactly in the boot up process it freezes? Does it get all the way to the Desktop and it is only when you try to do something that it freezes? The fact that it also hangs with Trillian may just be coincidental.

#5 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:48 AM

Everything on my desktop is there....the Trillian box is loading all its stuff and everything just freezes.....my mouse wont move.....I have to do an improper shutdown.

Its driving me nuts!!!!! LOL

#6 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 28 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

Everything on my desktop is there....the Trillian box is loading all its stuff and everything just freezes.....my mouse wont move.....I have to do an improper shutdown.
Its driving me nuts!!!!! LOL

In that case ... couple of things to try. 1) Uninstall Trillian and reinstall it. Or 2) Prevent Trillian from loading at Startup, and after all the other startup stuff loads, then manually load Trillian.

#7 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

I opted to try #2........since I have manually loaded Trillian, I have had no problems. Thank you so much for your help!!

Lisa

#8 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:01 AM

you can see some general guidelines which may help you here.

jbravo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users