Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 justjeena

justjeena

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

Can someone please help me.... I keep getting this message
windows detected a hard disk problem
back up your files immediatly to prevent informaation loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk

name:STS9160821AS ATA
volume:C:/D:/
HP pavillion dv6000
windows vista home premium 32

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:36 AM

Do you have backups of your important data?

I suggest download and run the free trial of HDDControl:

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/p..._0065___USD.htm

The program is a time limited but not feature limited trial, and is simple to use. It will show a report of the SMART (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology) status of the drive. By the sound of it, the drives SMART status will show it is experiencing significant errors, and is likely to fail before too long. If so, it would be best to replace it while it still works, so the current system installation can be cloned across to a new drive.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users