Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do temp files clog up the system?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hi,
Silly question, but do temporary files automatically get deleted whenever we shut down the PC?
Or do they stay on the system, clogging things up and slowing things down?
Also am I right in thinking there are two kinds of temp files, namely "Temp files", and "Temporary Internet Files"?
I'm Win XP Home

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

Hi -
I use CCleaner slim to remove Temp files only - Always be careful what you remove and only set it to remove Temp files -
The terms Temp Files and Temporary Internet Files are very much related - The latter is related to "general browsing history" only -
While you may use a program off line and (like paint) delete the pictures to recycle bin so the programs like CCleaner will empty the bin -
This is only a basic idea of the programs , so it is better to visit the Piriform (CCleaner) site to read all information -
Thank You -
EDIT -
You should also Defrag at times (to not remove) but to reorganise the files into their required format - Programs>Accessories>System Tools -
While there I usually use the Disk Cleanup Function -

Edited by noknojon, 06 August 2010 - 11:27 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Temporary files are 'supposed' to be deleted when the system shuts down...but it doesn't always happen that way.

Yes, there are temporary files which relate only to Internet access...and there are temp files which relate to installed programs functioning on the system. Temp program files should disappear when the program is no longer being used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_file

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260897

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...24004646AA66Sxu

My answer to your topic title would be...anything (programs, files) which is on the system and serves no useful purpose...can be construed as "clogging the system" if one is referring to hard drive space and resources. Unnecessary programs are more likely to clog the system, IMO, than any number of temporary files...since a program consumes CPU cycles & memory...as well as hard drive space.

Louis

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:04 AM

Thanks guys i've just thrown general CCleaner usage open for wider advice in a separate thread..:thumbsup:

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 20 August 2010 - 08:07 AM.

#5 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

A few years ago I had trouble with viruses or spyware that seemed to persistantly infect my computer almost every day.I'd clean them out and soon they'd be back. I was told that these pests were surviving in my temp. files,and to clean them out every day. After that the problem was ok...

A question here: I have never really ran a Disc Cleanup before,from fear of the unknown,I didn't want to wreck anything. Is this REALLY safe to do? What tool is best,just the Windows tool?
Can someone explain this to me in a little detail?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users