Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus won't die

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 markd12

markd12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

Ok I'm going to start from the beginning.

I was using my laptop when I heard a clicking noise so shut the computer down and ran a HDD test to find a lot of bad sectors, I have no money to replace the Hard drive so I would have to use the home PC which I bought for 25 second hand.

I rebooted the PC when I first got to remove the previous owners information and added a slave hard drive which I saved my music collection to, then left it for everyone else to use. It was over 6 months later when my laptop hard drive went bad. When I first turned the machine on after my laptops hard drive went bad I seen a lot of Malware and Spyware and (This is the important one) all of my searches in Google where being redirected to places I didn't want to go.

I started by running the following:

Super Anti Spyware
Malware bytes
Spybot
Microsoft security essentials
Hijack this
Security Task Manager

Which revealed just under 1000 nastys (Mostly Trojan's) but the Google redirect virus survived.

The next day I researched the virus and found many tutorials for removing, all the ones I tried failed. (From what I've been reading its caused by a TDSS rootkit I tried all the removal tools including the one made by kaspersky but still no luck.

A few days later I decided to update and retry the anti-viruses incase it was something that had not been added to there database, I found a few more nastys but not the one I was looking for.

At this point I really needed full use of the computer (and I was losing my patience) So I formatted the drive and reinstalled XP. I expected the problem to be solved but no it was back to haunt me. After inventing some new swear words and scratching my head I diced it the perfect chance to see if I could teach the old dog new tricks and install Windows 7 Ultimate.

So I formatted the drive again and installed windows 7 which worked perfectly, except the virus is STILL here.

To be honest Im clueless its nearly 5 in the morning and Im going to bed and will resume in the morning, Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

PS: There is a Slave drive and three memory sticks that where in and out of the machine before and after each install could the virus have infected them? If so is there any way to remove the infection without formatting them?

-markd12

Edited by hamluis, 07 August 2010 - 07:36 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 markd12

markd12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

OK never mind finally managed to get rid of it, after using DBAN to completely blank the drive I reinstalled Windows to find that the problem persisted. After a little more research I found one mention of goggle redirects being caused by alterations to your router which turned out to be exactly the problem so I reset my router and changed the default password to help prevent it happening again and that was the problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users