Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed OS on third HDD now can't boot to W7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mb9023

mb9023

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:16 PM

OK so originally I was dual-booting with XP and Windows 7, both on different hard drives. Today I had a third HDD in my build from a family member's computer as it was bluescreening and I wanted to run virus scans. It was heavily infected so I decided to format it and reinstall XP while it was still in my system (big mistake on my part..). Put the XP CD in, deleted the infected partitions, formatted and installed XP on the correct hard drive. Little did I know that next time I restarted my computer, instead of the usual boot to Windows 7 or Earlier version of Windows options, I just get two options to boot to XP.

Even after taking the second XP hard drive out the options are the same. I need to know how to get it to let me boot to Windows 7 again. Selecting hard drive to boot to doesn't help because the boot manager is stored on my original XP hard drive, so I get a no bootmgr error if I choose the drive W7 is actually on.

I know reformatting would work...but I'd really rather not do that considering there's like 200gb of games and such installed :/
I mean I can back it up easily..it'll just take forever to set up and install everything again.

Thanks. also if this should be in another section feel free to move it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mb9023

mb9023
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:07 PM

OK so...I loaded my Windows 7 CD and ran the startup repair tool and it fixed the problem. Don't know why I didn't think of that before ^_^;

topic can be closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users