Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming upgrade backfired!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 M1R463

M1R463

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

Okay, so I've got quite a problem here.

I'm gonna go ahead and list off my components and let you see what I'm working with before I get into the details of why I wound up on this site.

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5670 here
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 AM3 here
Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 255 Regor 3.1GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core here
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel here
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3160813AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s here
PSU: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-600MA1S 600W ATX 12V Ver.2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular here
Disc Drive: NEC DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI here

Okay, the reason why I haven't listed the case yet is because well after I bought all the components I just replaced what was currently in my original case. Then I decided that my 5 year old case was really loud and poorly held together, so I replaced it. During the time that my new build was in my old case, everything worked. The motherboard didn't like the first 2 gigs of RAM I ordered which was clocked at 1600 so I sent them back and used the pair listed above. And I used this build without fail for a month and a half.

Now, when I replaced my tower, I also decided to install a better heatsync for my processor. Coolermaster Hyper N 520 this thing helped my old build so much that I figured it'd be nice to have in my new one since i was still using the heatsync that came in the AMD box.

The new case I got (and am quite found of the design after now owning it) is this Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower and when I was replacing the heatsync, some of the original thermal compound fell into the pins of my processor. Now, this wasn't the first time this happened, however, it was the first time I had such a problem getting some old-chunky thermal paste out instead it smeared... so I folded a piece of paper and used the corner to scoop out the compound. Now, from the direct light and what I could see, all of it was out of there. Connected everything, installed the heatsync, and closed the case up; it all worked fine. Then I got some more RAM. 2 gigs of exactly the same as I listed above (even the serial numbers are the exact same). When I connected them, I made the assumption that they were both completely installed and good to go. Now, a few days and headaches later I removed the RAM, and then re-installed them, this time visually and physically confirming that everything is snug and "IN".

Now we come to what has been burdening me for the past week and a half; the problem. See, my computer will post. It'll load windows too (7 64bit). However, sometimes it will loose stability and BSOD or just straight up restart. Then sometimes, it'll try to launch windows and then restart again.

Here's the kicker, the way it was focusing around the latest catalyst drivers and making my video card's necessary prorams fail... made me think that it is either the video card OR a virus specifically aimed at messing with the video card/drivers. So, I remove the extra RAM, replace the video card and BAM everything is working again. Sad thing is, now I am stuck to using 2 gigs of RAM and this bleepty replacement video card...

So, I tried putting in my 2 extra gigs of RAM, INSTANT memory crashes and instability issues ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

Here's my question to you, bleepingcomputer.com, could it be my motherboard, processor, or the RAM? Oh, btw, I'm using my fiance's laptop to type and send this. Now my network port isn't working and Win7 says I don't have admin privileges to "start" the diagnostics tool (process).

Yipee!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

If it runs fine without the new memory then I would start there. Download and run memtest86 or, if you have a windows disc there should be a memory checker there, on all available memory, both together, and one at a time, and see if it causes any errors. Also, try running the computer with your original card but without the extra money, to try to eliminate that as a problem. If possible try running a program like 3d mark vantage-if it makes it all the way through 3dmark vantage (without the extra memory) then chances are high the video card is not your problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 M1R463

M1R463
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

here's the other funny part, whenever I connect either 2 gigs or try all 4, my BIOS and even Windows detects them. Heck, in my Bios, it shows the same stick of RAM across all 4 DIMM slots with no timing/clocking difference. However, the default FSB/Frequency (i never OC since it shortens the lifespan of your hardware) for the DIMM slots is 1333, whereas the RAM I have is PC3 10666... however, it they should be 1333, right? idk, I'm just experiencing one thing after another with this build. Thank god it's my computer and not someone who commissioned one from me. I'll definitely try to do those tests, however, Memtest86 has it's own code for "what's wrong" or "it's fine". It never just says, "this slot is bad, this stick is bad, or they're all fine" which is quite unnerving and very tedious. In the end, if it is the DIMM slot(s) then it's still "the motherboard" and that'll have to be replaced and that's not cool.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

That is why I suggested you test them individually, only put one in at a time. Use the one slot. If the problem is a defective memory stick, then all the good ones will pass with flying colors, while the defective one will throw up errors. If they all throw up errors, try a different memory slot, and keep moving down until you find one that works. if they all work in one or 2 memory slots then you know the problem is the memory slot. And even with defective memory, windows and the BIOS will often times still recognize all of it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Rather than using the suggested diagnostic...I would go with Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso.

Louis

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Isnt that the same as the one I Recomended?

picard5.jpg

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

No :thumbsup:...two entirely different products I see when I click those links.

Louis

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

huh they look the same, even the screen shot you provided. I know theyre both released by the same people, perhaps the + is just an updated product. in any case, hope it helps find the problem :D :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users