Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard won't work

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

I have about a 5 year old Compac Presario Desktop,768 Ram,ATI 7500 graphics card,XP.
It is my old computer which I want to fix as a second unit. It worked fine until Microsoft issued the SP3 update,then it went Screwy(Because I had an AMD Processor),so I parked it and got a new computer.(I know there is an AMD-SP3 fix I can install if I can get the keyboard to work)
The problem now is that the keyboard will not function,I've tried another keyboard,looked at the keyboard software settings etc.,but nothing-just dead,and it's kinda hard to work on or troubleshoot without the keyboard!!
Now I'm not too skilled on computers so I'm hoping someone can help me please.... :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

...then it went Screwy(Because I had an AMD Processor),...>>

This was an HP/Compaq issue, not a Microsoft issue (just for the record).

Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3 - Jesper's Blog - http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

SP3 Install Issues, Sysprep Used On Image - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953356

HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01452495

If you cannot get a functional keyboard...I have no cure for that one. I'd suggest one with a PS2 connector, rather than a USB connection.

Louis

Did you try booting into safe mode and uninstalling the keyboard drivers?

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#3 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

After I tried to install SP3(It didn't completely install so couldn't be uninstalled,as happened to others) the computer would restart but was really unstable and was almost unusable,so I purchased a new one and had to take the old computer to the shop to have it's data transferred to the new one. This is where it gets interesting,I told the dealer I still wanted to keep my old computer but he failed to return it when he delivered the new one. He tried to keep it(To resell) but I went to his shop and demanded it back,he disappeared for a few minutes and then returned it to me.It was all polished up,and at home I found he had removed most of my programs etc,but now the keyboard doesn't work and no internet connection.(These did work before)
The keyboard has the round connector,like the spare keyboard that I tried.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users