Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer boot up EXTREMELY slow, BIOS/Processor problems?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RenoF

RenoF

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

I just got a desktop computer from a friend. It's a very high powered PC. However, when booting it up, it takes an extremely long time to load (this was with a a blank HDD). It seems it's extremely slow doing the POST (About 20-30 min) and loading BIOS or their settings or whatever. After it does the POST, it will allow me to go into BIOS, or do whatever I want.

I also put in the Win7 install disc, and it read it and began to install. However, it took about 12 hours to install Win7 (no joke). After it was installed and I got to log in and everything, it was running very smooth and fast. No lag, no slow loading, nothing. Just perfect, but the booting up process is still extremely slow.
I was wondering if this is a BIOS or Processor or Motherboard issue. Everything is connected properly and inserted firmly.
Is there any reason why this can happen? It seems like BIOS is just being so slow..
I have also set BIOS back to defaults, and even removed the battery for 30 seconds to reset it.
There are also no beeps to indicate a problem.

These are the specs:
Phoenix BIOS (v6 maybe? can't remember)
Intel Quad Core 2.40GHz
nVidia GeForce 9800 GX2
8 GB of RAM
EVGA Motherboard (Can't remember the model, but I can get it if necessary)
1000 Watt PSU.
300 GB HDD

Oh. I'm also about ready to just remove all the hardware and then build it back up. Just to see and be sure if something isn't connect properly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

Well...I suggest that, in the future...before accepting "gifts from friends"...you attempt to find out if the gift has any functionality or is worthy of acceptance.

In short...ask your friend about the functionality of this system and save yourself time and effort. Once you know the facts, you will be better able to focus on what was wrong and what can be done to overcome it, if anything.

A system that takes hours to install any version of Windows...has serious problems, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users