Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Forbidden content'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi,
a German member (living in Germany) of our military discussion forum can't follow up World War 2 video links (Youtube etc) which we post, because the message comes up "Forbidden content".
All our other members around the world can see the vids perfectly (Battles of Stalingrad, Arnhem, Normandy etc), but the German government have blocked all German citizens from being able to see vids relating to WW2!
Is there any way round this Big Brother censorship, so that our German pal will be able to see them?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 06 August 2010 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

It may have something to do with some certain German laws.
See an example here: http://odem.org/informationsfreiheit/en/
He should call his ISP and ask about the issue.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

And raise all kinds of hell about it. To think that sort of non-sense is going on in a supposed "democracy" is very sad.

Edited by Bezukhov, 06 August 2010 - 06:11 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:08 AM

Whether or not the German government or whatever institution is blocking this, is handling democratic is not in order here. As said before, that needs to be addressed elsewhere (ISP would indeed be a good start).

BC's board rules state the following:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

I bolded the relevant part in this case. This is a security measure of sorts and its not up to me or someone else here at BC to judge whether or not its correctly so.

In other words, unfortunately we will not be able to help your German friend watch this video.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users