Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need recovery disk for Acer computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I don't know if I am providing enough information in this posting--let me know if you do need more info.

On my son's Acer computer---which is about three years old, we replaced the motherboard. (long story about the inititial problem, might not be relevant to the current question.) The store that did the install of the motherboard, called us and told us they needed to install--or maybe "reinstall" the OS and it would be an additional $100.

We declined and brought the computer home, put the hard drive into my computer, a Dell Dimension, and saved all his files.

Took the hard drive to his computer to put it in, and he is running into problems--I don't know if I am telling this correctly--his choices are to hook up to "primary master/primary slave" (or other combinations of master/slave, primary/secondary).
When he turns on the computer, it brings him to a menu choice, of boot menu, bios, and I don't remember what else. If he doesn't hit any choice, it gives him a choice of running a system diagnosis. The system diagnosis tells him his OS is found, but his hard drive is not found.

This doesn't make sense, since we had no problem transferring data from the hard drive to my computer. He's being told he needs to buy a new OS, ($107) or they can make him a recovery disk for $30, but then they say they can't make one from his computer--and evidently, they can't make one from a different computer, either. This is all "geek to me".

I know years ago, I was able to make a recovery disk from my own computer on two different OS, two different occasions.
Do you know if this is possible with this computer? I don't know if I have given enough info, but I don't want to weigh my post down with irrelevant info. Let me know if you need greater details.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

they can make him a recovery disk for $30, but then they say they can't make one from his computer

Who said that? Acer?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Broni
Both Best Buy and Staples said they could make him a recovery disk, but when he went to follow through on it, both made excuses as to why they couldn't then.

Can I make one at my Dell computer that has a XP on it, if we put his hard drive backl into my computer?

Acer's reply is that they'll look at it for money, but, of course, they make no promises as to whether they can fix. I remember it was an easy thing to do when I had my Win 98 OS

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:26 PM

Both Best Buy and Staples said they could make him a recovery disk

They sure can't. You have to call computer maker, Acer and ask them. They should get you one cheap.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users