Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Max graphics on $2-300 CAN to upgrade 3 year old rig

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BroadSide

BroadSide

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

This is my first post here so please forgive any forum faux pas I may commit. I posted this at Tom's Hardware over a week ago, but so far no takers over there. Fingers crossed.

I have a computer I built 3 years ago with the following specs:

MOBO - ASUS P5N32-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1503
CPU - intel Q6600
GPU - PNY gtx 8800
RAM - 4gb corsair xms2 4,4,4,13 @ 1.8V
HD1 - WD Raptor 150 GB @ 10000rpm
HD2 - Seagate Barracuda 500 GB @ 7500rpm
PSU - 750W coolermaster real power
Audio - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
CASE - CoolermasterCosmos

3 years ago I was well chuffed with this little beastie. It could almost play Crysis at High settings without too many strobe light dance scenes. However, 3 years have passed and I'm about to start a computer animation course in September, a situation in which I need maximal graphics power for minimal cash. Right now, I am able to run Maya 8.5 and do basic modelling and animation, but I need to try and inject some steroids into this system if at all possible.

Realistically, I have a budget of about $2-300 CAN.

My rig is all at stock speeds right now. I do have a Zalman cooler (still in box) for The CPU which would probably allow me to OC to somewhere just north of 3 G/Hz. I also have access to a 64 bit OS which would allow me to increase my RAM (currently @ 4GB).

My thoughts to date were to OC the CPU as I intended all those years ago and to upgrade the GPU. Should I purchase another GTX8800 and sli them or just purchase an entirely new GPU like the GTX460?

Any and all thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

8800GTX in SLI would be slower than a single GTX 460. I would suggest getting the GTX 460. :thumbsup:

#3 BroadSide

BroadSide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for the reply.

You can pick up a gtx8800 for under $100 now. Would x2 gtx 8800 and 8GB of RAM outperform a single GTX460 and 4gb of the same RAM?

#4 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

No, plus you'd be stuck using DX9 technology when the standard is DX11. That 8800GTX is several generations of technology behind.

#5 BroadSide

BroadSide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, DX9 vs DX11 is a bit of a difference. There wasn't much reason to invest in Dx10 but DX11 has a lot more to offer and the thought of being 2 generations behind is a little too much.
I'm going to install Win 7 64 bit, OC the cpu and get a gtx460.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users