Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NetGear WG111v2 Adapter - bad internet connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kaityn

kaityn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

Dear all,

I've always wondered why my sister's computer has had such poor internet connection (the connection is weak and disconnects frequently), and I'm starting to wonder if it has anything to do with her NetGear WG111v2 Adapter? This is a small black and straight stick that sticks out the back of the hard drive tower.

My computer uses a USB dongle and my internet is much better than hers.

When we bought our PC's, a friend had set both of the computers up for us (including taking care of the wireless internet connection too) and so I have no idea what the problem could be, or how to fix it for that matter. However I am thinking of purchasing a new USB dongle online, and installing it onto my sister's computer.

Could anyone tell me if this is possible? And whether an upgraded USB dongle would fix the internet connection?

Sorry this post doesn't have much information - I don't really know what else to say. Please leave posts if you require any further information.

Thanks in advance =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dwarf

Dwarf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

Try using a USB extension lead and position the dongle so that it isn't partially shielded by the metal of the rear of the tower.

#3 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:16 PM

I, too, had problems with the Netlink adapter even with the USB extension. My solution was to replace it with a Medilink wireless adapter that works much better.

Oops - I meant Netgear.

Edited by DanT, 10 August 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

FWIW: It's not uncommon for wireless connections...to have this problem, nor is it uncommon to wired connections.

But it seems that wired connectivity problems like this are easily correctable, whereas the wireless problems seem (IMO) to lie in the nature of the connection.

That's an oversimplification and anyone may disagree with it freely :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 kaityn

kaityn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

I will purchase a USB dongle from online (with USB extension) and try that out.

How do I know which type of USB dongle to purchase? Does it have to be compatible with the computer or does any USB dongle work with every computer?

Any recommended good USB dongles?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users