Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus In Email!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

:thumbsup: Not sure if ive posted this in the right place or not..so forgive if im wrong...Ive just received an email from a friend who in turn had receieved an email from a friend regarding a virus thats circulating. Apparently, her friend warned her NOT to open anything regarding 9/11 or anything that says WTC Survivor. Her friend apparently did and it has erased the whole of his 'C' drive. It deletes all dynamic link libraries (.dll files).

Is it possible for you to check this out...i dont like sending stuff on especially if its a hoax of some kind...thanks.

Dollyeyes
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...vivor.hoax.html
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:17 AM

:thumbsup: Thankyou so much ddeerff..I knew it was suss when i read it...!! I shall refer my friend to Symantecs link...thankyou for taking time to show me...! :flowers:
Posted Image

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:54 PM

Not sure if ive posted this in the right place or not..so forgive if im wrong

Hi Dollyeyes, it is really in the wrong place, so I've moved it. And you're forgiven. :thumbsup:

Breaking Virus & Security News is more for new news about information on security matters that people aren't aware of and rarely will be about question and answer type topics. This is really about an old hoax. People may not be aware of it, but this forum is a better place to inform you and others of this old news..

No big deal, I can see where this topic could fit. And I just want everyone to know that 99.9 percent of emails of this type, warining of a virus outbreak, are hoaxes. For a reliable source of information go to a website such as Symantec's security advisories and do a search. Reliable sources will not send email warnings and ask you to forward them on.

These are just rumors--on the net they are know as e-rumors. Anything in the form of a chain letter will have dubious information. I would encourage everyone to not participate in chaining at all. It's become a part of the internet culture and many chain emails seem harmless and even fun, but if I get an email of any type that says to forward it on, it either gets deleted or cubbyholed. The chain gets broken right there.

First the rumors are nearly always untrue. And chain mails that don't have to do with rumors are still a problem. There are plenty of sites about this subject and how to ferret out hoaxes, but for now I'm only going to have time to list one:

BreakTheChain.org

Question everything! E-mail is an unreliable medium for sharing information. It is unreliable, cannot be tracked and no company uses it to give away money or products. It's an ineffective tool for political activism and won't make you a millionaire overnight.

Don't want the junk! If you forward chain letters, stop! If others send them to you, stop them! The more junk you send, the more you will get. Sending or receiving chain letters increases your exposure to spam, scams and other junk mail.

Stop junk e-mail and misinformation!

For why you shouldn't forward emails even if it is a joke or something that has nothing to do with misinformation and just seems fun:

C'mon, What Can It Hurt?

And here's an article about an old rumor. It's recirculating now that Hotmail will no longer be free after November 1 (tomorrow). The quote comes from the end of the article--more reasons not to participate in chains:

Hotmail Too Hot to Handle?

The very first version listed above contains a comment from one of the fowarders that "i don't know if this is for real, but it can't hurt to just send it to all the hotmail users ya know..." Well, it can hurt, and here's why: One version of this chain I received contained nearly 650 e-mail addresses from numerous forwards. It took me about 20 minutes and a word processor to isolate those addresses and create a list that would be worth hundreds of dollars to any e-mail marketer (spammer). Don't worry, I deleted the list and would never sell such a thing, but I wanted to demonstrate how easy it would be to collect them using chains like this.

Hotmail is alive and well and you don't need to forward some dumb e-mail to save your account or keep it free. Break this Chain!

Thanks for bringing this up, and hope you don't mind if I rant a bit.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2005 - 05:13 PM

:thumbsup: Hi..Papakid..thanks for moving my question..see now that I posted it in the wrong place..and for forgiving me... :flowers:

I dont mind you ranting..and agreee..I get sent loads of chain mail emails and always feel guilty about not sending them on..but I dont..cos I think its silly...wonder if thats why I have no friends then...? :trumpet: :inlove:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users