Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fraud Malware (Removal Help)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ElectroFreek

ElectroFreek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hi. This is my first post. I heard good things about this board so I'm hoping someone can help!

Here's my story:

I'm running Windows XP Prof on a HP Compaq 6910p

In the last couple weeks my computer came down with a bit of malware. It's the typical fraudulent antivirus software that wants me to purchase it for full protection. At first I ran SpyBot (since I already had it installed) but that didn't immediately fix the issue. These are the two common files that keep popping up in SpyBot:

Fraud.DesktopSecurity2010
Fraud.AKMAntivirus2010Pro

I performed a quick System Restore and that seemed to fix the problem temporarily. I knew then that I would have to dig deeper.

Yesterday I installed MalwareBytes and ran a couple scans, and I once again did a scan on SpyBot. The scans seem to temporarily fix the issue, but the malware comes right back within 12-24 hours. Overall I can still open applications and use my web browser, however the nagging pop-ups are making it difficult to run some programs, like games.

I've read up on how to remove the exact file names, however I'm not too skilled with computers and don't want to further hurt my laptop. First of all, is the step-by-step instructions on the site below a legitimate way to remove the malware?

http://www.myantispyware.com/2010/05/02/ho...l-instructions/

Any answers are appreciated! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users