Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira keeps blocking something

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LarryLegs

LarryLegs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

I got a computer from a friend that I want to use in my classroom to have my library on and some other stuff. If had some viruses and I ran Malware, Avira, and SuperantiSpyware and deleted everything and such. But now I keep getting a message every so often from Avira saying it is blocking "autorun.inf" on my d:/

Some help would be wonderful. Since this isn't my everyday computer it doesn't have to be perfect, I'm thinking I could even remove the backup drive if that is an option. I really don't know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carissa_lee_

carissa_lee_

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:23 AM

From what I know, autorun.inf is the file associated with the AutoRun function on your computer... say if you insert a CD or USB flash drive, your computer is typically set as a default to run/open them automatically. Disabling the AutoRun function can protect your computer from other kinds of attacks. I saw the link below posted elsewhere on BC, it might help explain further. It discusses the AutoRun feature, and why it is best when disabled:
http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/11/ple...torun-asap.html

I've never used Avira but it may be a new(er) function that was added for your protection. If so, I am sure there is somewhere within Avira's settings where you can disable that function, if it is that bothersome to you, although it's probably better left how it is, as the link above should explain in detail.

#3 LarryLegs

LarryLegs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Ok, thanks. I hope that it isn't something major and it is just like what you're saying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users