Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To get that perfect Knife Edge

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

Being a Knife enthusiast and collector I was referred to a forum called Jerzeedevil.com a forum dedicated to Knives, hunting, and a splash of politics. All and all a great bunch of people. There I was directed to a series of how-to videos on knife sharpening located at Knivesshipfree.com this set of videos describes the difference between convex and Beveled edges and how to sharpen them properly. I can now shave with my EDC (every day carry for you computer folks :thumbsup: ) which is a SOG trident. I can personally vouch for the kit they sell on the website I received mine today it works awesome and the compound should last a few years.

Disclaimer: This is not a paid endorsement I am not affiliated with Knives Ship Free in anyway other then a consumer. I am contributing member of the forums and just thought this was great advice to pass on. Should you choose to use the process outlined in the video's be extremely careful with your cutting instrument it will be dangerously sharp.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:24 PM

I've been using the same Lansky Sharpening System for over 20 years.
Razor edge, every time, and 4 angles to choose from, depending on your cutting needs.
I use the 4 stone diamond set, and after all of these years, and more sharpening's than I could possibly count, the stones are still flat as the day I got it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:51 AM

Sneakycyber thanks. Now I know why I have saving those old mouse pads. Very good videos. I finish off with a old belt on a flat surface except for cutting meat. Meat seams to like that slightly rough edge and the use of a steel keep it working for quiet a while.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

@TG for a Beveled edge the angle guided hones work great (you can re-grind a convex to make it beveled) I prefer the convex edge and for that nothing beats stropping.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users