Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How much RAM can I upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ladytiger16

ladytiger16

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

I have a desktop that has an Intel ® Pentium ® 4 CPU, 2.80GHz, 2.80GHz, 504 MB of RAM in it and need to know how much RAM that I can safely upgrade to? It is for my 12 year old daughter and she downloads a lot of photos and music on it! Please help me I am going crazy over this!!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

What brand and model of computer (if it's a brandname), or what mainboard does the system have?

If you don't have this information, System Information for Windows can tell you:

http://www.gtopala.com/

Another way to get the answer is to enquire from a reputable memory manufacturer, such as Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/

The website can respond to the system information you give, or can scan your computer for the info.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

Depends on the motherboard and how many free RAM slots you have vs how many are currently used. I know the later Socket 478 chipsets (865PE, 875P) supported 1GB per slot for a max of 4GB.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

RAM is different from hard drive space. The hard drive is where photos and music are stored. RAM is different, it is where things go in between the CPU and the hard drive. Increasing RAM usually increases performance.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users