Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Mode won't install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dob1

dob1

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I bought this version rather than Home Premium because I was told about the XP Mode enabling some of my legacy stuff.
However I followed the directions on the Microsoft website, downloaded the 3 packages (64bit) and installed the first.
It creates the virtual HD on the Disk and the dialogue box says it has installed successfully. But there is no shortcut on the menu.
The second and third parts don't install. They come up with the message that they are not right for the computer.

I have checked all the basic things. Virtual Machine is turned on in the BIOS etc.

On the Microsoft Windows 7 forum someone has said that XP Mode worked on the release candidates, but did not work on the released versions of Windows 7.
They reported that it has been withdrawn for now, but the links are still available on the Microsoft website with no disclaimers or anything.

Does anyone know anything about this? Can anyone suggest why XPMode is not writing a shortcut to the Start Menu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

I have a retail copy of Win 7 Pro 64-bit, XP Mode does indeed work with it.
What is the full message it gives you when attempting to install Windows Virtual PC?
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#3 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

The first step is to run the setup file. I choose the correct version etc and run WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe which was downloaded from the Microsoft Website.
The setup concludes with the message: "Setup Completed - Click Finished to exit Setup" which I do OK.

The microsoft website then says: "Once you have installed Windows XP Mode, click the Windows 7 Start button Windows 7 Start button, then select All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode to begin setup."

However there is no "All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode" on the list, so I can't go to the next step. It does not install the links. Other programs do, this one doesn't!

If I try the second stage and run the file "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu" I get the message "The update is not applicable to your computer." But I believe this is because XP-Mode is not running and it needs to be running for steps 2 & 3 of the Microsoft process are run. The real problem is I don't have a shortcut or menu listing and don't know what file should run to get XP-Mode started.

Any ideas anyone?

#4 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:27 AM

Ah, I see, if you'll look below.

Posted Image

It tells you to:
* Download/install (Windows XP Mode) first
* Download/install (Windows Virtual PC) second
* Download/install (Windows XP Mode Update) third

The reason you can't find it is because you haven't installed Windows Virtual PC yet, you've only installed Windows XP Mode.
Basically, you have to download and install all 3 files, step by step, (button by button) before you can access Windows XP Mode.

Microsoft's statement you're quoting is based on the assumption you've already done all of that already.

:huh:

Edited by t3chie, 06 August 2010 - 02:39 AM.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” - Mahatma Gandhi

#5 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

I know I havn't installed Windows Virtual PC yet! The install of Windows XP Mode leaves me with NO WAY to open it and install Windows Virtual PC. I need to get a shortcut or Menu entry so I can run Windows XP Mode and THEN install Windows Virual PC!!!

If you have the details of the shortcut to run XP Mode, and could send me that, it might allow me to get to the next step.

#6 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have re-read the instructions and it does seem that the Windows Virtual PC is installed before running 'windows XP Mode'. However the lack of menu items / shortcuts will still cause me problems.

If I try the second stage and run the file "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu" I get the message "The update is not applicable to your computer" and it will not install. But my computer has virtualisation enabled, it is a brand new machine, purchased to allow this!

#7 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

I just uninstalled and reinstalled XP Mode on my other machine. You should indeed see the virtual machines: C:\Users\<Name>\Virtual Machines
You may need to see if you can uninstall and restart the steps. Just to see if Virtual PC didn't get installed incorrectly, the update is suppose to allow your machine to use the program.

Edited by t3chie, 06 August 2010 - 11:40 PM.

#8 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:28 PM

I have downloaded the installer and when it is run the message I listed last time comes up. "The update is not applicable to your computer" comes up.

I have followed the Microsoft instructions EXACTLY and am doing exactly what you say, but the results are still the same. You don't appear to be reading my statements carefully. I have done exactly what is said. I still have the two problems.

1) After installing the XP Mode - no shortcut or menu option comes available. (But as I mentioned in my last posting, I try to do step 2 before anything else)/
2) The message "The update is not applicable to your computer"

Can anyone help?

#9 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

Inside of Programs and Features, do you see Windows XP Mode?

#10 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:02 AM

Yes it is listed as Installed inside the "Program and Features" window. But, no Menu Item on the Start Menu.

#11 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

I have now done a complete reinstall of Windows 7, the third time, and everything is working fine. XP mode installed this time as it said it would and is up and running fine, so no more help needed.

#12 k2316

k2316

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

I too have had problems with XP mode. Glad to hear yours are solved dob1. I have no problem installing. The issue though is that it doesn't run. I tried everything that was posted in this thread with no luck. I have an HP, virtualization is activated. I'm running win 7 pro. I tried running as administrator as another post on another board suggested but again no luck.

#13 dob1

dob1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I've been away for a while, so you might have solved your problem. Have you tried the settings of your Virtual Machine? Go to All Programs -> Windows Virtual PC and right click "Open" the Windows Virtual PC Item. It should give a listing with the actual file: Windows XP Mode.vmcx If you right click that file and choose "SETTINGS", you can make sure that it isn't trying to access too much memory or some other conflict.

Failing this, HP is a brand name and ought to be offering some support for you?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users