Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL or HighSpeed Internet question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AuburnOne

AuburnOne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:27 PM

Currently I have NO internet connection from home as I'm financially strapped and had to give up my land line. Can anyone tell me if I absolutely must have a land line, or is there a way to do it through satellite alone?

Currently I have basic DirecTV, but hope to drop them in September when my contract ends (way too expensive). does anyone have recommendations? I need some type of high speed internet connection without adding a phone line.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

If you are dropping Direct-TV and do not plan on having cable TV service as a replacement, I can not see how you can acquire any Internet service, specially without a telephone line or cable-TV hook-up involved.

I know there are GPS systems and 3G networks, but those do not provide free services.

So I can not think of any way for you to get Internet without paying a fee for it.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 LeveledHead

LeveledHead

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Some DSL providers offer a "Naked" dsl line. I don't think you necessarily have to have cable TV to get internet over the line. You may wish to look into satellite services where you're at (provided you have a clear view of the southern sky). There might be some sort of line of sight wireless offered in your area, but that's not always an option.

None of these options are really cheaper than anything else, I don't think you can save money by going with satellite.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

STAY AWAY FROM SATELLITE INTERNET

^And I rarely use all caps or bbcode, if that tells you anything.

You should be able to get cable internet without TV service if its available in your area, if cable isn't then try DSL. Many providers offer "naked DSL", but whatever you do do not get satellite internet.

Why?
-High pings
-200-300mb/day download limits
-Slow peak times
-Terrible customer support
-HTTPS is not accelerated, and with the latency it makes it about 1/4th the speed of dial up.
-and the list goes on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users