Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing NTLDR

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robincg2

robincg2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

I know I need a newer PC. I was messing with the old one and screwed it up. I know there's someone out there who can help me.
I've read some things about using fdisk.exe but thought telling others with more experience exactly what happened and how it happened might be helpful.
This Pavilion Desktop with Windows XP Home Edition is about a 2004-2005, model # a1330n. The recovery CDs that came with the PC don't work. It just says, "These recovery discs will not work on this computer." D:drive is the recovery part of the hard drive. I thought I'd look and see what it would do for me, what options it had. I was thinking maybe I could re-install some things and the computer would run better. Silly me. I began the recovery operation, thinking it would give me an introduction or choices on what to re-install, etc, and without warning it began formatting drive C:. I thought it should've given me several warnings. It gave none. I immediately held in the power button to shut it down.
So now, when I turn on the PC it just says, "NTLDR is missing" and advises me to try again. I'd really like to get all my photos and records and documents and passwords and everything back. I know they're in there because I can put in a little Norton floppy and boot up and it'll start going through naming and checking all the files for viruses. My Compaq notebook is also a 2005 model, also with Windows XP Home Edition and I can make a floppy boot that works on the Pavilion desktop.
Does anyone know how I should proceed?
Should I just go ahead and try FDISK?
I have to run an errand but will check back in an hour. Thanks

EDIT: Moved from Internal Hardware to XP forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2010 - 06:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Hello And Welcome To BC :thumbsup:
about NTLDR you could read this
Xp Boot "fixes", See the bolded text for your error message

about your HP recovery disc you could read this
Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems in Windows XP
or
HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Looking for Recovery Discs?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

Ntldr Is Missing Fix, Romeo29 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/170057/ntldr-is-missing/

NTLDR is missing - http://www.topbits.com/ntldr-is-missing.html

Louis

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

Going to go out on a limb and say that the boot partition/data/Windows is screwed beyond repair due to overwriting during the restore operation.

If this were mine, I would recover the data from the hard drive first before I attempted any other operation. You might boot from a Ubuntu Linux CD, run it from the CD/DVD drive and see what is left of the file structure/data on the C: drive. From there you can copy over data to a thumb drive/external hard drive/network storage.

You can also pull the hard drive and either slave it in another system, or hook it up via a USB adapter/enclosure to another system and see what is recoverable. You could also use a program like Recuva to pull data that has been deleted but not overwritten.

Good luck with it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users