Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Removal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DreadTech

DreadTech

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hello out there i have a bunch of old PC hardware @ home that i want to get rid of like CD-Roms', Hard Drives,Cases, etc whats the proper way to dispose of them? I dont want to just throw them in the garbage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

Sell them on Ebay.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Local recycle centers work for me.

Louis

#4 DevonSchreiner

DevonSchreiner

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

I know there are a couple geek charities out there that you can send old hardware to and they set it up for people that need it.
Devon Schreiner
Tech Blog - TheTechBlender.com
Personal Website - DevonSchreiner.com
Twitter - @DevonSchreiner

#5 Barajiqal

Barajiqal

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

The hard drives are the biggest question in that batch of stuff are they used or new just older/outdated/small? If they are used most certainly wipe them with some sort of rewriter else I would just destroy those as personal data could still be obtained fom them. Donating them to a charity or if you have enough parts assemble some working machines and give those to charity would be nice as well.

-Bar
"I am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds" - (Verse 32 Chapter 11 of the Bhagavad Gita) Robert J Oppenheimer

"Any Man Who Has a Habit and Cannot Bear to Share it Should not Have the Habit at All" - Misqoute From Rolland of Gillead in the Stephen King Series The Dark Tower

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Check with your local government to see if there will be an e-cycle day in your area.

Many cities now participate in this, which gives you a chance to dispose of electronic equipment you no longer need/want.

You just need to find out what types of electronics will be accepted.

#7 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

I'm a good Catholic. St. Vincent de Paul takes all my old tech with a smile.

Make sure you get a recipt for the tax deduction.

http://www.svdpusa.org/AboutUs/FindaThrift...US/Default.aspx

Edited by subtropical, 06 August 2010 - 10:45 PM.

:-)

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

Around November I get together what I can, and build systems to donate to 2 local churches. I can usually put together 6-8 systems in time for the churches to distribute them by Christmas. Ditto on the deducts, my CPA agrees.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Oseyerus13

Oseyerus13

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

Try places like Goodwill. They'll take almost anything because many people with extremely old computers go there when something breaks, is very out of date, and they don't have the money to buy something new anyways, either parts or another computer.

#10 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Reduce, reuse, recycle. :thumbsup:

Getting rid of generally unwanted stuff can be surprisingly hard sometimes. Charities can be picky about what they can accept, garbage/recycling can be picky about what they can dump, and selling online (eg eBay) can be pointless if the item isn’t worth the postage to ship far away. Your best bet to get rid of (without wasting) stuff like that is to go local. Try posting an ad on ebayclassifieds (aka Kijiji) to try to sell them cheap locally. If that doesn’t work, then you can put an ad to give them away. You will usually get a bite from somone, unless you live in a tiny town (and even then…)
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

#11 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

Dunno about other peripherals, but I second the suggestion on physically destroying the hard drives.

#12 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

:huh:-->
QUOTE(Kyle B @ Aug 13 2010, 08:28 AM) View Post
Dunno about other peripherals, but I second the suggestion on physically destroying the hard drives.[/quote]
No matter what, without question? :thumbsup:

Not all hard drives have important information on them; plenty can simply be wiped and donated—I highly doubt that some poor person who buys a hard drive from the local goodwill store is going to spend thousands of dollars to have it examined with an electron microscope to extract a tax return receipt or flickr account of some grocery-store cashier that donated the drive. It depends on what is on it and where it’s going, but more often than not, simply wiping it a couple of times (once with random bits, then with zeros) is sufficient and has the benefit that it doesn’t add e-waste that Chinese children will have to melt down and inhale toxic, molten lead, and some poor person in town can upgrade their system without having to forgo food for the month.
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users