Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

For some reason, my system restore won't work. Like it will create restore points, but then they will disappear.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

How about a little more info.By any chance do you dual boot.
Tony

#3 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

i dont dual boot. i just have windows 7 ultimate on there and nothing else.

i dont know if i can give more info. i just get a message that says "No restore points have been created. Create one using System Protection."

#4 t3chie

t3chie

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:41 AM

Try checking out the settings for System Protection:

Windows 7 Logo (Start Menu) -> *Right click* Computer -> Properties -> System Protection

Go to the configure option in the bottom right and make sure System Protection isn't disabled.

Edited by t3chie, 06 August 2010 - 02:42 AM.

ďLive as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.Ē - Mahatma Gandhi

#5 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

yeah, System Protection is on, and it's always been on. AS I said before, It creates restore points, but then they seem to disappear later and I don't know why.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Do you have some type of computer maintenance enabled to automatically do a disk cleanup each time the system is started?

Or do you have any utility programs setup to automatically do the same?

System restore points are not usually deleted unless a program of some type is told to clear them or if you have automatic disk cleanup enabled at system startup.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 simpsonman3000

simpsonman3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Do you have some type of computer maintenance enabled to automatically do a disk cleanup each time the system is started?

Or do you have any utility programs setup to automatically do the same?

System restore points are not usually deleted unless a program of some type is told to clear them or if you have automatic disk cleanup enabled at system startup.

Bruce.

no, i dont have a thing set to clean the disk regularly. it will make a restore point, and it will be there, then it will somehow be deleted.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:39 PM

See the info in link below.
http://itexpertvoice.com/home/what-to-do-a...restore-points/
Here is some of the info:
For some reason, we still donít know why, some Windows 7 installations are deleting Windows 7 Restore Points. Hereís what we know and what you can do about it.

The Easy Fix

If youíre lucky, it may just be that you donít have System Restore set up correctly. To check on that status, see if Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) and Windows Backup Services are running and set to automatic in Services Console.

To do this, take the following steps.

* Click on Start, type Services in Start Search. When the Services page is open, scroll the page to find Volume Shadow Copy and Backup Service.
* Right click on them and check if they are started.
* If the services are disabled, click to start the services and set them to Automatic.

By default, both services should already be on and set to Automatic for your primary partition, but Iíve seen incidents where they havenít been. I suspect, but havenít been able to prove, that the services have been turned off by malware. You should also keep in mind that VSS wonít work on FAT32 formatted partitions.

Edited by buddy215, 10 August 2010 - 08:41 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users