Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Should I Register my Domain Name?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hello,

Once upon a time, I used dialup internet access to get to my ISP, plus also had a family website hosted there for free.

Later, when my cable TV company started offering high-speed internet access, I switched my ISP to them, but kept an email account at my old ISP, who continued giving me free hosting of my family website.

Well, the old ISP (stic.net) finally advised me the free ride was over, and that to continue hosting my family website, I would need to register a top level name domain and sign a monthly web hosting contract with them.

The total cost per year for domain name registration and web hosting will run slighlty less than $100, so I figure it's worth it. I'm also thinking of keeping things simple by doing the domain name registration and web hosting thru the same ISP provider (stic.net). However, I've got a few questions I'd like to ask your advice on.

1. Is it safe to register my desired domain name thru stic.net, or should I register the domain name separately with someone else, like namecheap.com? (Since this is only a family website, with limited business potential, I'm not too worried about someone trying to steal my domain name.)

2. For the domain name registration, does it matter who gets listed as the administrative contact? (I've seen advice saying this could change who officially own the domain name, but others have said to put this in the name of the web hosting company in order to avoid getting flooded with spam emails - so I'm not sure which way to go.)

3. The cheapest priced web hosting plan with stic.net does not offer FrontPage extensions. Does this matter very much? (My website will be built very, very basically, using static html pages, possibly using MS Word, and uploaded via free ftp program. I built something like this about five years ago, but do not remember how I did it - sorry, but TBI damage from an auto accident has wiped out parts of my memory.)

Thanks.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

It doesn't matter who gets listed as the administrator as long as it is a valid contact. Your registrar may try to contact you and failing that, they will disable the domain.

It really doesn't matter where you register your domain.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

I would try to offer my limited knowledge for the second question.

<<others have said to put this in the name of the web hosting company>>
That is a bad advice. In that case the domain will be owned by the domain registration company. Once groovicus told me that you actually do not own domain, but you only hire it for a specified time :flowers:

You should register your domain name with your own correct information. After domain registration the registrar checks if you have supplied valid information. As groovicus said, they will disable your domain if they find wrong information.

Some domain name registrars offer free domain privacy for your contact. This is also offered as paid service by some. So all your contact information is hidden from everyone. If an authority seeks your information, then they contact the domain registrar etc. This is great for personal web sites. You can disable and enable domain privacy anytime you want.

Note that this privacy service is offered only for a limited domain types like .com, .info, .net or .org etc. I once registered a .me domain and found nobody offers domain privacy for it :thumbsup: Check with your domain registrar in advance.

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the input.

After further research, I found that namecheap.com offered a much better package than stic.net, so signed up with them during lunch today for my new domain name and web hosting. Including a coupon discount, the total price for the first year will only cost me $48.76.

For that, I will get 5GB storage space and one year of whois protection.

Still can't remember what software I used to create my original family website 6 years ago; going thru my old computer records last night it looks like I may have simply used MS Word 2003, as the website was really very basic.

I've been using MS FrontPage the past 4 years at work to help maintain part of my company's intranet, and just recently switched to MS Expression Web when they upgraded my Windows XP computer to Windows 7. Am hoping I won't have to purchase similar web authoring software to use at home, so have downloaded and will try using the free program called KompoZer this weekend.

P.S. Please wish me luck as I try to relearn some of the skills needed to build a new website and upload files via FTP. That darned TBI injury left my head somewhat like swiss cheese, so relearning how to build my family website from scratch will take me much more mental effort than simply editing existing webpages like I do at work.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

Another vote for namecheap.com!

Got my domain from there. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Hooray!

Finally got most of the html files completed and uploaded for our redesigned family website, so it is now 90% functional, with the few missing parts hyperlinked to an "Under Construction" page.

Accidentally got the html code for most of the pages really goofed up, as the pages were originally created with MS Word 97, then edited with MS Word 2003, then edited further by KompoZer (free), then further edited by CoffeCup html editor (30-day trial version), then finally edited and repaired by MS Web Expressions (60-day trial version). The pages now all display okay in MS Internet Explorer 8, but when I run a free on-line code validator on them, a bunch of behind-the-scenes code shows up as mangled.

Note to self: Next time around, practice editing just ONE dummy file with alternate html editors, or else learn to live with mangled code.

I have unfortunately forgotten what little html coding skills I previously learned, so am struggling to figure out how to correct the behind-the-scenes code errors. Does anyone know of a free code validator that also offers suggestions on how to correct the coding?

Thanks.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

CSE HTML Validator Lite edition is free for personal and educational use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users