Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Disappears from Device Manager, Crashes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tobyjason

tobyjason

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

I have pretty much confirmed the following problem isn't malware (or at least that I've cleaned my system of intact malware) using the help of a moderator on the malwarebytes forum and combofix, although I *DID* discover and clean infections by Alureon A and a backdoor trojan and a couple other things prior to obtaining his help.

My XP SP3 computer's E:\ drive (DVDRW) usually (though not always) doesn't show up in My Computer NOR in Device Manager. There isn't even a CD/DVD section in Device Manager when this happens. However, all my IDE controllers appear TWICE in Device Manager. If I uninstall (both copies of) the secondary IDE channel and/or standard dual channel PCI IDE controller (I'm not sure which, actually -- I've never just done one) and do a rescan, the drive usually THEN shows up (both in Device Manager and in My Computer. However, if I click on the newly revealed drive in device manager or in my computer -- not always right away, but if not then soon after it appears -- my computer almost always crashes to a beige colored screen with a weird pattern (sometimes all over the screen, sometimes just in a small area) composed of tiny dots and dashes. It looks like old school computer game terrain graphics or something (when it's the "all over the screen" version, that is). Sometimes the pattern is just a vertical dot-and-dash line on an otherwise blank beige screen. After these crashes, my notebook generally fails to start the first time I try to restart it, crashing to either a blank black screen or, more often, to an eye-catching black screen with shaded green and red (or on a couple occasions two other pretty colors) round-edged 3-d-ish bars. Then, when I re-restart it, it almost always restarts ok but the drive is gone again.

This is definitely not the standard "delete upper/lower registry" disappearing drive problem I see people talk about, because the drive is not only invisible in my computer but also everywhere else. Somebody seemed to think this was a ram issue. I switched the ram (albeit with another stick purchased at the same time/place) and the problem remains.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hi -
First , (unless done very recently) run a Check Disk scan - Copy and paste this code into Run Box , exit all programs as the computer will reboot and start the scan in 30 seconds after clicking OK - This should take from 30-60 mins (depending on your system) to complete the full 5 stage check -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Any problems should be displayed in each scan section -
Thank You -

#3 tobyjason

tobyjason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

Did it. Clean. It crashed to a black screen (after the Windows splash screen) upon automatic reboot when the scan was done. I had to do a hard shut-down and restart and then I got a Windows low-res screen that said the disc check was clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users