Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A Vpn

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

Ok I'm trying to setup a VPN server on my windows XP machine. I'm using the instructions found here: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm

However when I click "Accept incoming connections" in figure 3. I get a message saying:

Incoming Connectiuons depend on the Routing and Remote Access service which was unable to start. For more information, check the system event log.

So I went into the administrative tools > services and tried to jump start it myself and I get this:

"Windows could not start the [b]Routing and Remote Access[/]b on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 340."

So I thought there must be a dependency that is not running. So I checked the dependencies and I see "NetBIOSGroup" and "Remote PRocedure Call (RPC)."

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is on and working, however I can't find a service related to "NETBIOSGroup. So I expanded the little checkmark thingy and got this: "NetBIOS Interface." And that's it.

How do I get this started so I can finished creating my VPN server?

Edited by yano, 26 October 2005 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:06 AM

I do not know an answer to your issue, or, honestly, really understand your issue all that well, so forgive me, but would a google search for 'enable Netbios' get you any good info?

Again, I am sorry but I have a simple mind.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

I think I may have got an answer from my Hardware teacher and my friend. They said to enable the "messenger service," because the computer has to be able to "talk" with incoming and outgoing messages and information. So since I'm not home yet. I'll try it when I get home.

But basically here is what I want to do (in sipmlest terms:) I want to VPN from my local starbucks (wirelress hotspot) using my laptop back to my desktop at home which is connected to Roadrunner (cable ISP).

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

Also I do have messenger service running. So I'm not sure what is going on.

#5 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

Do you have a static ip address assigned by Road Runner?

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:11 AM

Did you ever find a solution, vano? I am curious as to how to do this myself!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users