Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old hard-drive copied to new flash drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tookiewayne

tookiewayne

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

I don't really know how to use the search well enough to find out if this has been posted.

I have an old compaq running windows 98 and i need to copy a few files from it to a scan disc cruzer flash drive but the pc won't turn on at all.

I have considered taking the hard-drive out and putting it in another computer that is running xp on its hard drive, change the bios boot setting and just try to stick the cruzer in if the computer loads. I'm about to try this today so if anyone has another option or more insight on how i should do this please let me know. I want this process to go as smoothly as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

Put the hard drive in the other computer but then just boot up windows xp and open the drive from "My Computer" and find the files that you want and copy them to either the flash drive or to the windows xp machines hard drive. That would be the best way to go as i doubt windows 98 will reconize the flash drive, more or less boot on a different machine. :thumbsup:

Edit: Spelling

Edited by computerxpds, 05 August 2010 - 11:30 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 tookiewayne

tookiewayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

thanks a lot. both computers are ide so do i need to move any jumpers around and change the old hard disk to a slave?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yes set the old drive as slave. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 tookiewayne

tookiewayne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

worked like a charm bro. thanks

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

You are very welcome, I am glad to have been of assistance to you have a nice night! :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users