Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Folder Hangs on One Machine Only

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harrismicro

harrismicro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Ok, so first of all, hello there everyone. I hope you are all well. On the network, we have a Server 2003 machine which has a folder mapped to all the other machines. Every single one of them is XP Pro. In that mapped folder there are about 120 other folders all containing separate databases. Every machine on the network is able to access any of these database folders with ease, except for one. This particular machine has been able to do it's job just fine for many months now, but suddenly, it now hangs when trying to access some of these folders. Sometimes, it cannot access the folders at all because it takes so incredibly long to load them. We have gone back and tried to undo anything we have changed in the past 3 days to no avail. We have changed out NICs, replaced network cables, and tried different switches and switch ports. We decided that it's probably not a hardware issue, but instead a software malfunction. Any help or insights into the situation would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll be here for the next 5 hours today. Thank you all for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

No error messages?

Try running chkdsk /r and defragging that system after chkdsk /r completes?

Run a hard drive diagnostic or review Event Viewer for possible clues regarding situations needing attention?

Louis

#3 harrismicro

harrismicro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Well, before I was even able to check for replies, I was fortunate enough to fix it by luck. It actually had to do with the particular database suite that we use. Thanks for the fast reply though, I really appreciate it!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for posting back your resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users