Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with hard drive??

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gerry13

gerry13

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

sometimes my computer suddenly shuts down and restarts.my computer is virus-free so does anyone know why is this happening??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Hi,

We need more information, such as is there any error messages that come up before or After it restarts, also are you doing anything in particular when this happens such as multi-tasking or using a certain application. Also it would help if you posted what your computers specs are. such as model, manufacturer and what your hard drive is, IE. how much space is left on it and how many GB it is. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hi,

We need more information, such as is there any error messages that come up before or After it restarts, also are you doing anything in particular when this happens such as multi-tasking or using a certain application. Also it would help if you posted what your computers specs are. such as model, manufacturer and what your hard drive is, IE. how much space is left on it and how many GB it is. :thumbsup:

so far it has happened 2 times: the 1st i was simply watching a video on youtube when that happened(at that time the hard drive was about 50% full)
after that i formatted it because of a problem and it happened again today while i was playing a full-screen game.

my hard drive has 120 gb space(it's about 2 years old,that's why it's so small) and now it has about 85Gb free.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Manufacturer and system model?

Obvious suspects include heat and power supply, IMO.

I'm curious as to why you specified the hard drive as the potential problem.

What kind of problem...led to your reformat effort?

Louis

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

have you check you temperature (computer)...

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Manufacturer and system model?

Obvious suspects include heat and power supply, IMO.

I'm curious as to why you specified the hard drive as the potential problem.

What kind of problem...led to your reformat effort?

Louis

where can i find information about manyfacturer and system model??

i reformatted because:after the computer shuttted down the 1st time when i was trying to open windows i was getting a blue screen with some numbers and some chinese-like letters.

the 1st from the 2nd incidents where a bit different:at the 1st time the computer turned off(even it's power light was off) and the only thing that was still working was the cooling fan inside.

today,my computer simply rebooted and before opening windows it said windows didn't shutted down as they should in order to prevent data loss or because of power loss and then i was asked whether i want to start my computer normally or on safe mode.

#7 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

As to your learning your computer manufacturer and model, if it is an off-the-shelf computer, you should be able to get that info by looking at the exterior of the computer case, or possibly reading the serial number tag on the back.

There are also several software ways to obtain that info and more. My own preferred way is to use the free Belarc Advisor program that is available for download from the Internet.

Edited by Torvald, 05 August 2010 - 04:09 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#8 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:26 PM

have you check you temperature (computer)...

is there any way to know if the temperature is getting above the normal levels??

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

Try either of these free programs listed below to check computer temperatures.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Try either of these free programs listed below to check computer temperatures.

HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Bruce.

i installed the 1st one and saved what it found-i tried to paste it here but i can't,here's the most important:

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 1.33 Volts [0x53] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.81 Volts [0x71] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 2.59 Volts [0xA2] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.13 Volts [0xBF] (+5V)
Voltage 4 5.50 Volts [0x56] (+12V)
Voltage 5 -13.25 Volts [0xCF] (-12V)
Voltage 6 -12.48 Volts [0xC3] (-5V)
Voltage 7 4.97 Volts [0xB9] (+5V VCCH)
Temperature 0 30C (85F) [0x1E] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 44C (111F) [0x2C] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 48C (118F) [0x30] (TMPIN2)
Fan 0 3668 RPM [0x2E] (FANIN0)
Fan 1 2557 RPM [0x42] (FANIN1)
Fan PWM 0 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM0)
Fan PWM 1 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM1)
Fan PWM 2 0 pc [0x0] (FANPWM2)

if u need more information ask me to post it!

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

As was mentioned previously, heat can be an issue. There is a fan on the motherboard which can accumulate enough dust to impede the air flow. If this is a desk top open the case and look at the fan on the motherboard. If it is full of dust use canned air to blow it out. If it's a laptop you will need to blow through the vent. Short of taking access plates off this is about all you can do with a laptop.

One thing that you can do is to stop the automatic restarts. Try this, Start> right click on My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery. Under startup and Recovery click on Settings, uncheck the box in Automatically restart under System failure. With this done you should get an error message the next time this happens. If this does happen, please copy the exact message and post it back here.

How long has this been going on? If it has only been a couple of weeks, and isn't heat related you could try performing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

i cleaned my computer just a couple of days before the 1st time this happened!!

i think the problem must have to do something with the power because using this program i saw under the voltage section in one category -5,.. with minimum -11,..
the value was constantly changing but it was hardly reaching the minimum value..

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

Can you please post more information about your computer so we know what we are working with here.

What is the make and model number of your computer.

If this is a desktop computer can you please post what information is printed on the sticker of your PSU?

Kind regards.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 gerry13

gerry13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

i deactivated automatic restart when an error happens and it happened when i wa shutting down my computer normally!!

this time the screen went blue with the following mesage:windows shutted down in order to prevent data loss.this may happened because of the installation of new hardware.restart your computer and if this happens again contact you hardware manufacteur or uninstall the hardware you installed.

after that it said : stop(ooooo8)(oooooooo8)something like that and at the bottom of the screen: retrieving crash data

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

Can you please post more information about your computer so we know what we are working with here.

What is the make and model number of your computer.

If this is a desktop computer can you please post what information is printed on the sticker of your PSU?

Kind regards.

Bruce.

gerry13 can you please provide the information I previously requested?

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users