Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krazychick214

krazychick214

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:33 PM

If I install XP over Windows 98, will it delete all the files I currently have on my computer from Windows 98?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

Yes it will. How big is your drive? You could make a second partition and format it in FAT32 and install XP there. Then you could have a dual boot(if you still need 98), or at the least have all your 98 files intact so that XP can access them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 krazychick214

krazychick214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

Yes it will. How big is your drive? You could make a second partition and format it in FAT32 and install XP there. Then you could have a dual boot(if you still need 98), or at the least have all your 98 files intact so that XP can access them.

I have the install screen in front of me. Itried to get a new partition by pushing C like it says, but nothing happens when I push it. It says 12983 MB disk 0 at Id0 on bs 0 on atapi (MBR)

and underneath that it says

C:Partition1 (Fat32) 12982 MB (1208 MB free)

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

You don't have enough room. You have a 12.9 gb hard drive and 1.2 gb free. Thats less than 10%, and not nearly enough for XP. It sounds like you will end up with too small of a hard drive for XP with 98 and your data taken up all that drive. IMHO what I would do is purchase a new drive and install it as master and install XP on it. Make sure you format it as FAT32 so your old files can be used by XP. Put the current drive as slave and drag and drop the files to the new drive. Wait awhile so you don't miss any files on the old drive then format it and use it as a backup for you files.
Just my thoughts.

#5 krazychick214

krazychick214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

The only thing I am concerned about losing is the pictures from my digital camera. Is it possible to just put those onto CDs and then put Xp over the Windows 98? That was what my original plan was...but I wanted to see if it was possible to not have to transfer pictures onto discs. I guess I just answered my own question. Thanks!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

Sure. That is the easiest way. I assumed (bad move) most of your drive had non replacable data or creative works. That is the best way for any computer.
Burn them to cd the go to town.
Let us know how it turns out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users