Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire 5315 series doesn't startup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:41 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 series laptop, and it won't startup.

First it takes me to the screen "launch startup repair or launch windows normally" I've clicked startup repair several times and it never fixes it. I've also tried starting windows normally and it comes up with this black screen with the font

!! 0xc0000034 !! 250/86580 (_00000000000.cdf-ms)

It usually freezes between 8700-8800/86580

Usually, it goes to this screen no matter what I do.

Now I've been trying each of the advanced startup repair techniques, still none work. Each of them freeze at 99% pretty much. Memory Diagnostic froze at 99%, windows system restore was finalizing the restore for over an hour, I have no idea what to do with the command prompt, I don't have the correct discs apparently for complete system restore, and startup repair never works.

I bought these disks from the acer company and one of the steps says: Reboot the computer and press F12 for Acer when the splash screen first appears. I don't know when the splash screen even appears. So basically I don't think the disks work.

Is there any hope for my laptop?

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Edited by Billybobjoebob, 05 August 2010 - 12:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

It sounds to me like your operating system has become corrupted.

The fact that the computer did not shut down properly, causes you to keep going back to a screen saying just that.

Each time this cycle happens your operating system becomes more corrupted.

You should try running chkdsk /f to see if this fixes the issue.

I do not know off hand who your hard drive vendor is but you should try running a DOS version of their diagnostic disk utility to check for bad sectors on the hard drive.

If you can provide that hardware information, we can point you to a DOS utility that runs independent of the hard drive in question.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:30 AM

I don't really know much about what you're saying but i'll give it a go.

So just type chkdsk /f in command prompt and that might fix it?

I'll try to find out who my hard drive vendor is. And if I find that out, you may be able to find a DOS utility?

Thanks

EDIT: I typed in chkdsk /f in command prompt and it brought up
"The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

I type yes and it says the volume will be checked the next time the system restarts. I restart the system and everytime it comes back up with the 250/86580 screen so I turn it off and on then retype in the chkdsk /f and get the same message.

Edited by Billybobjoebob, 06 August 2010 - 01:03 AM.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

hi,,, take a look in this link,, option 3 using the command prompt,,
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Vista-SP2-P...34-121528.shtml
and another here
http://windowsfixup.com/2009/06/windows-vi...0xc0000034-fix/
not much help im afraid sorry, there issues happened when trying to install sp2.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, the second one I thought would work, because it actually executed all of the commands, but I shutdown and then restarted, and it didn't work.
I don't even know what the first one was saying with the basesystem and stuff. Thanks though.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

I am following up with what Figgis41 linked you to above. I came up with the same results Figgis41 did when Googling the stop error 0xc0000034.

It appears you have Windows Vista.

You either have a problem that resulted from a windows update, or you had/have a virus or trojan that is causing a current issue.

The question is can you get a virus scanner to run and scan this computer for possible virus or malware?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

I'm almost 100% sure it's not a virus, I always scanned my computer frequently before this and never downloaded files I thought were unsafe. (And I did download the damn vista update...) I also don't know how I would run a virus scanner now that I can't get to command prompt. I have been troubleshooting with command prompt. I used one of microsofts tutorials, but it messed it up even more I think. While I was doing the command prompt stuff, I didn't even need a disk, it would just take me to the advanced user options. Now that I did what microsoft told me to do it gives me 5 options: Safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with comand prompt, last known good configuration (advanced), and start windows normally. None of them work and the safe modes and last known good configuration freeze at crcdisk.sys. So now I can't access repair my computer without the damn disk...

Edit: When I do any of the safe modes it freezes at crcdisk.sys every time

Edited by Billybobjoebob, 06 August 2010 - 02:57 PM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Try reading this solution at this link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums...db-3e1811899ce6

Regarding crcdisk.sys

Let me know if any of the other .sys files are similar to yours.

If you do not see any familiarity to what is on your system compared to this solution please let us know this.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 06 August 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

hi,,,, im fearing the worst now,,, did you make backups ???, im wondering if the hdd is shot,,, if you made backups then if the fix in the post above by Bruce fails i would consider binning it and clean installing and reinstating the backups,,, if you have not made backups and Bruce's fix works then i would seriously consider backing up the drive, clone it if you can in case the drive is ready to fail.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Every solution I saw in that link had to do with going into command prompt and I can't access the command prompt. I also saw a solution where I buy a usb to sata cable and attach my hard drive to a working laptop like this one and delete crcdisk.sys file itself. Are those what you were referring to. I don't have any backups of anything, didn't even know that was possible. I'm doing this so I don't have to buy a new laptop, saving my files would just be a nice bonus. So if it's easier to save my computer without saving my files I'd be fine with that.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

This is part of what is mentioned in that MS thread.

So this is how to fix the problem:

1) I start windows Vista from my DVD and select repair, select the command to star the console.
2) in the command promt I go to where my windows is installed and remane ( or delete) the followind file:

\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
\windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
\windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

*NOTE: the file with * where NOT renamed (or delete) and it worked for me. In case Ur PC freeze again try to rename all files.

3) exit and restart.

I have to admit that that thread is a very long one indeed and is complicated to follow.

What it suggests is to see if you have any of the above mentioned files listed above on your hard drive.

Bruce.

#12 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Don't I need command prompt to do that? Because I can't get to command prompt anymore. My computer didn't come with a disk because I was able to restore my computer to the original date without a disk. The ones I got don't work either.

Should I download a windows vista reboot disk, and then burn it to a blank dvd? I saw that on that thread as well.

Edited by Billybobjoebob, 06 August 2010 - 07:36 PM.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

Don't I need command prompt to do that? Because I can't get to command prompt anymore. My computer didn't come with a disk because I was able to restore my computer to the original date without a disk. The ones I got don't work either.

Should I download a windows vista reboot disk, and then burn it to a blank dvd? I saw that on that thread as well.

You could try that, or you can also download UBUNTU liveCD from this link, instructions are on this page as well, UBUNTU can be ran just like than OS right from the UBUNTU disk. You have to burn the .ISO image to a cd-r or DVD+r and boot from it. If you need a burner software you can download IMGBurn for free it does the job.

Here's the links you can use.

UBUNTU LINUX LIVECD https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

ImgBurn burning software http://www.imgburn.com/ This page has links to other commercial software, make sure you click only the link to download ImgBurn! Or click this link instead and choose a mirror site. http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

If you boot from the LiveCD, it allows you to access the contents of your hard drive, just as you would be able access the contents of a cd if you were logged into windows.
I hope I am not confusing you here, the livecd page explains how to do it.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#14 Billybobjoebob

Billybobjoebob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

The cd worked for this computer and I was able to install ubuntu, but I tried it on the messed up computer and it didn't boot. I also tried pressing F12 and F2. Do I need to burn another cd for the other computer because this computer is xp and the other is vista?

Edited by Billybobjoebob, 07 August 2010 - 04:51 PM.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

The cd worked for this computer and I was able to install ubuntu, but I tried it on the messed up computer and it didn't boot. I also tried pressing F12 and F2. Do I need to burn another cd for the other computer because this computer is xp and the other is vista?

The file you downloaded is only an .ISO image, once you burn the image to a disk, it does not matter what operating system is on the the computer that does the burning, the UBUNTU liveCD is independent of the Windows operating system and its associated file extensions are not like those of Microsoft Windows such as .exe etc.

You have to make sure the drive you placed the burned LiveCD image into is configured in the computer's BIOS setup utility as the first bootable device in your BIOSes BOOT menu.

Am I to understand that you can not access the BIOS setup utility at boot up?

Upon boot up you should be offered a quote that says press any key to boot from CDROM or DVDROM or CD Disk etc.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 August 2010 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users