Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Signal Output To Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Praetorian

Praetorian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:44 PM

Hi All. I've lost my signal output to my monitor after moving my computer. Not a complete novice I've had the back off and pushed and pulled the cards etc. My display adapter is integrated on the motherboard (not good I'm thinking) and I'm stuck. Any tips on how to diagnose or re-install drivers when you can't see what you are doing? Or, how can I tell if the adapters dead? (Please don't say no signal output) Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

Does it display on your monitor "No Signal" or is the screen just blank? It could be the monitor has failed. Try another monitor.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:17 AM

:thumbsup: to BC Praetorian.

Check in the end of the monitor cable that there are no broken or bent pins (some pins are missing - that is normal).

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Praetorian

Praetorian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 05:43 PM

Sadly not that simple, monitor working perfectly. Strange though, trying a second monitor (also working properly) it did not display the 'no signal or cable disconnected' warning it just stayed blank. Of course that could just be what it does.

Thanks for the reply - appreciated.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:28 PM

If nothing appears on the screen when you power on you can forget drivers since Windows is not even loaded at that time. If that is the only display adaptor the BIOS should be sending boot messages to it during the POST testing.

Does the PC appear to boot? - power led on, disk activity, keyboard leds blink? If so your onboard display may have died. Buy a plug in video card/AGP to replace it and carry on. If the PC does not do much other than spin the fans then you may have other problems. (e.g check your RAM has not come loose)

Try a BIOS reset - check your motherboard manual (or close inspection of the mobo near the CMOS battery) should (but not always) reveal a jumper which will clear the BIOS settings back to factory defaults. Exact method depends on the motherboard but usually you just have to move the jumper for about 30 seconds.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 27 October 2005 - 07:30 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users