Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install hung, unable to boot disk after restart

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SkaSkaSka

SkaSkaSka

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

After putting together a new computer, I went to boot windows home premium 7, via my SATA optical drive. After it loaded the files, it got to the "select a language" etc, screen, before any actuall installing begins. At this screen it hangs, and I am unable to do anything. I reboot my computer, and get the standard "hit enter to boot from cd/dvd", and I do so. "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" is the error message that greets me. Thinking this could be a problem with my nuking my harddrive or something similar, I remove my SATA hard drive, and try again. The same error message occurs. I know the drive can read, because it did previously. My cables are all hooked up correctly, and I have tried reseating them several times.

My MOBO is a GIGABYTE GA-77OTA-UD3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your problem is happening because you are trying to boot from a hard drive to which there is no operating system to boot too.

You should be booting to the optical drive to which your installation disk is inserted.

You have to go into your BIOS set up utility and choose your optical drive as the first drive in the BOOT menu.

Yes the bios screen will ask you to hit any key to boot to an installation disk.

If the disk fails to be recognized as a bootable disk and it is in fact such, your laser in your drive may be dirty, or have dust laying on the lens causing a read error.

Windows 7 installation disks are DVD disks, not CDROM, the drive has to be a DVD drive, and since DVDs have dual layer, it is easier for a dirty lens to cause mis-reads on DVDs.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 SkaSkaSka

SkaSkaSka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to boot from a DVD, and my optical drive is indeed a DVD drive. They are just both SATA drives. Sorry for the confusion. At start up, it says "Boot from CD/DVD:" Then it gives me the error message after a few second despite the DVD being in the drive. It read not even 2 minutes ago, so I doubt it is because the drive is dirty, or misaligned.

Edit: That is to say, I have both a sata HDD, and a SATA DVD drive

Edited by SkaSkaSka, 04 August 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

To recieve this error "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" is an indicator that there is a problem with either the Windows 7 disk, or the hard drive.

Being that Windows 7 has yet to be installed on the hard drive, it has yet to write a master boot record to the drive, therefore you will get such an error message if the computer tries to boot to the hard drive.

So either the Windows 7 disk is not being read properly, of your attempting to reboot to the hard drive before the required files are written to the master boot record.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 SkaSkaSka

SkaSkaSka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

Thanks again for the reply, I am not booting from the HDD for sure, so the Win 7 disk is probably not being read, but what could cause this problem? Pre-hang, it was read perfectly fine.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

I had a DVD burner from Memorex that had issues with the windows 7 disk as well, I even did a firmware update on the drive and sometimes it read the disk and sometimes it didn't.

The drive was one I bought when DVD burners first came out in 2002, but I had this drive stored away in its unopened box all these years and finally started using it a year ago and after using it for less than 5 months it had issues.

Cleaning the lens really didn't help either, so I gave up on the drive and used a standard dvd drive just to get Windows 7 installed on my computer.

Oh by the way, that DVD burner had issues with DVD-R disks as well even though it was supposed to be able to read and write to those disks. So that goes to show you that DVD drives are more fussy than CD-R drives.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Bruce.

#7 SkaSkaSka

SkaSkaSka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:49 PM

But why would the disk drive suddenly stop reading it? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

But why would the disk drive suddenly stop reading it? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Thats what I was saying when it happened to me. yet when I changed the DVD drive to another one and tried again with that drive, Windows 7 installed successfully. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#9 SkaSkaSka

SkaSkaSka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

Alright, I don't have a spare drive on me, but I'll report in tomorrow to share if it works.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:08 PM

LOL yeah I have some relics here left over from when I was still active in the computer repair field.

That Memorex DVD burner I spoke of is still in my possession, its sitting in a box full of computer parts, I call it retired from service.

What really upsets me about that drive is it costed me $375.00 US dollars brand new in 2002 and now you can buy a DVD multi-layer burner for under $30.00. But thats the price you pay when you buy new technology electronics when they first come out.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users