Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to download windows updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dt11221

dt11221

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Ok, so here we go. I recently had an issue where my sound went out on the computer and i recieve a message saying "no audio output device installed" or something like that. After trying to fix it for weeks, i have come to the conclusion that the sound chip or whatever is destroyed.

~REASON FOR POST~ (windows vista home premium, 32 bit)

After a reset to factory default, i procedded to run the windows update. The first few updates went smoothly (roughly 80 over a 3 day period). Recently i recieved a notice that 4 updates were ready to be installed (security update for microsoft office 2007 KB951550, security update for microsoft office 2007 KB951994, the 2007 microsoft office suite service pack 2, and update for the 2007 microsoft office system KB967642). Everytime i try to install these updates they fail, and i am not recieving any new updates from microsoft. Also when i go to log out (please bare with me on this description) the button that looks like a circle with a line through it (log out button im assuming) has the icon signaling to log off and install updates. When i try this the computer logs down, begins installing updates, but it fails because when i log back in the icon is still signaling me to log out and install.

I have tried to use microsoft fix it and i recieve this error: Fix it troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occured, we're sorry, but the diagnostic solution encountered a runtime error. please try again later.

Can anyone assist me in the issue with windows update and microsoft fix it? i would like to get both of them working.

Edited by dt11221, 04 August 2010 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

This worked for me when I had similar problems:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t4.html

#3 dt11221

dt11221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

ty, but it didn't work

#4 dt11221

dt11221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

Well, i was able to fix the windows update problem by changing a few of the registry entries (appdata to be exact). Now i still cannot get microsoft fixit to work on my computer. any ideas on how to fix that?

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Upgrade to 7... :huh: JK

If you reinstalled the OS with an OEM copy of winders vista... your out of luck.
Manufacturing companies have placed a code in the bios chip... if your vista disc doesnt match up with this code (and OEM's dont), you will have issues getting updates and activating winders as well.

My advice: Order a Factory recovery image the manufacturer.

And if your still having sound issues: Have you check the device manager?

#6 dt11221

dt11221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:29 PM

If you reinstalled the OS with an OEM copy of winders vista... your out of luck.
Manufacturing companies have placed a code in the bios chip... if your vista disc doesnt match up with this code (and OEM's dont), you will have issues getting updates and activating winders as well.

My advice: Order a Factory recovery image the manufacturer.

And if your still having sound issues: Have you check the device manager?

I actually did reinstall with an OEM, so i think you are correct (thank you). I am still having sond issues, but since my computer heats up all the time (for the past 6-8 months) im sure the sound chip thingy is fried. I just hope i can reinstall a new one. I have an HP and they have a history of over heating yet they refuse to help unless i send the comp in with 450 bucks. TY for all of your help and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users