Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with windows update/download xp sp3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blogging.j

blogging.j

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Two days ago I received a windows update/download. Then at 3am which is the time I have set for it-it automatically shut down my computer. I've never had that happen. Is that normal? Then on the shutdown screened something happened because it didn't go away. After about 20 minutes (it was like it was frozen, but the mouse cursor still moved) I hit the power button on the computer and still nothing happened. I then hit the power button on my surge protecter, waited 30 seconds and then turned everything back on. When the computer tried to come up (before the screen that showed all the icons) the screen turned black for 5-7 seconds and then everything came up. This could be normal though. Usually I just hit the power button on it in the morning to turn it on while I'm doing other things. When everything came back on there was a green check mark on the bottom right of the screen saying that the computer had installed the windows update. XP has a system restore function on it. Should I do this just in case and then download the update manually?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:19 AM

Hi -
You can try a system restore and see what is the last restore date / time in the panel -
This Should be the download that came through - If not check at M/soft updates to see if there are any items to install -
Then do this as you would normally do (download and install when ready) -
The items may be already in , but it never hurts to check -

Thank You -

#3 blogging.j

blogging.j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

Thanks. I did a system restore. (just in case). Manually update the windows download and it seems to running better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users