Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Locked, Mouse and Internet Working

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 surfsafe

surfsafe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

XP Pro Service Pack 3 and MS built in anti virus, whatever it's called, all with automatic updates. Was apparently infected a week or so ago by a trojan that kept changing internet connection to a proxy server. Figured out with ISP's help that I could just change connection parameters to "use no proxy". But when the problem kept recurring, I figured that the PC was infected. I ran updated Malwarebytes and it removed 17 pieces of malware. But once that was done and I rebooted, the USB keyboard will not work. I got an error message to the effect that duplicate drivers were installed. So I followed MS instructions to uninstall the keyboard and reinstall. I tried this without rebooting, then with rebooting. Each time the keyboard reinstalls but it will not work, and device manager shows the same error. I even switched keyboards, but the same thing. What should I try now? The USB mouse works, I can call up saved documents, and I can get to the internet, but I cannot type anything. Not into browser, not into regular programs such as Excel and Word. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update: I again ran MBAM and picked up 7 more rogues, including a fake system restore and what else is new, Antivir. But I rebooted in Safe Mode and I can use the keyboard. Does anyone know how I can get the keyboard to work correctly in regular mode? Thanks.

Update Again: It also appears, now that I can get to the internet in Safe Mode, that I still have the Google Redirect problem, and apparently it will redirect Yahoo as well when I start looking for rkill and other similar topics. So next thing I will try is rkill and SuperAntiSpyWare from a thumb drive. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Edited by surfsafe, 05 August 2010 - 09:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users