Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get into windows (BSOD) in any mode including Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aequitas123

Aequitas123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

I have a PC and its my work machine (music production) and yeah i know its bad but i have the internet on it. I have one folder that has lots of really important work on it that i would hate to lose.

I had an issue with a trojan/virus a few months ago and finally resolved it but it looks like its back a bit.

The problem is i get a 'blue screen of death' everytime i try to boot into Windows XP in both normal and safe mode. My restore points are all gone and i've tried Repairing the OS several times and that had no effect. Still getting the BSOD.

STOP: 0x0000007E

I've tried replacing my drivers folder and still got BSOD. And i've checked to see if its a problem with my RAM by only using one stick at a time. No changes, still BSOD. And lastly i've tried creating a bootable USB drive with UBCD and cannot get it to boot from USB.

I have a macbook to work and post with. Unfortunately it makes things a bit more difficult.

Lastly, if i cannot get into windows, a solution to get a folder or two from my harddrive to a usb drive or external HD would be helpful.

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

7E STOP errors are fairly common, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182.

You can attempt to move data files (not programs) by removing the hard drive and attaching it as a secondary drive to another system (I would add well-protected to that) and then moving the files.

Louis

#3 Aequitas123

Aequitas123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

Hi Louis! Thanks for the reply.

I've gone through that MS support page and not found it very helpful. I can't get into windows so Method 1 is out. I can't find anything in my BIOS about caching or shadowing and i'm not sure how to update the BIOS without internet. And the error gives me no specific driver and again i'm not sure how i can go about updating drivers without being able to get into windows.

Any advice?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

Based on the fact that it can be so many things...I would move valued data files first.

Then I would...since the drive is now a secondary on a different system...attempt to run the chkdsk /r command on your drive.

All of this is done, assuming that you have already done a thorough series of malware scans on that drive from the second system. Typical products I would suggest include: installed AV program of second system, SUPERAntispyware, and Malwarebytes.

After those steps, I would return the drive to your system...and see if it will boot into either safe mode or normally.

I am also adding your thread to our Unbootable Computers thread, for users with problems probably oriented in malware.

Louis

#5 Aequitas123

Aequitas123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Thank you Louis!

Is there any way i can move valued data without having to take the harddrive out and put it in another machine? I don't have any access to another machine. I have an external HD i can use. Is it possible to transfer data from Recovery Console?

Before the BSOD i knew i had a virus/trojan (fake Security Software) so I ran both SuperAuntispyware and Malwarebytes several times, among other things, and then on one reboot i got the BSOD and have not been able to get back in since.

Does chkdsk /r delete files?

Much appreciated.

Edited by Aequitas123, 05 August 2010 - 12:33 PM.

#6 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:42 PM

if you could go to your family/friends for downloading and burn a cd...
you could read this...
How to Use UBCD4Win to Rescue Files/Folders from an Unbootable Computer

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#7 Aequitas123

Aequitas123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

i have a Macbook that i'm working on right now. I'll see if i can attempt the UBCD4Win recovery with it.

edit: looks like i need to run an EXE file in order to mount the ISO. don't think this is possible on a mac. any tips?

Edited by Aequitas123, 05 August 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

It is quite possible this is caused by malwre, however, the fact that you use a Macbook seriously limits our possibilities.

If you have access to a windows computer and your XP CD, we can create a bootable disk that allows us to create some logs. However, without that, it would be looking for a needle in a haystack unfortunately.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#9 Aequitas123

Aequitas123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

thanks Elise. Anything else i can do? Any other possibilities to fix the BSOD?

#10 Aequitas123

Aequitas123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

i believe i have fixed my problem.

burned a UBCD502.iso i had downloaded with my macbook and was able to boot from that cd on the problem PC.

thanks for the help!

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

Good to hear that!

Please let me know if you need any other help.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users