Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system tray icons missing after reformat and re-install of XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 keller

keller

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I just reformatted my hard drive and re-installed windows XP Pro, and all was going well until the other day, when I booted the system up to find the system tray icons missing. Windows appears to still be loading the processes themselves, as the avgtray.exe is in running processes, but I cannot get the icons to come back up. I've been poking around the internet trying to find solutions, here's what I've tried:

I've read that this problem often has to do with UPnP and/or plug and play related startup items, and tried the following, per directions on other sites:

1. Disabling both SSDP Discovery Service and Universal Plug and Play Device Host in "Computer Management" (right-clicking My Computer and going to "Manage").

2. Setting one of the above to "Automatic" and one to "Disabled," then vice versa.

3. Setting both to "Manual"

All Windows Updates (including Service Pack 3) have been installed successfully. Otherwise the system is pretty bare-bones right now, I haven't even gotten Office re-installed. The only things I've installed are my video, sound, and on-board ethernet drivers, Firefox, Thunderbird, iTunes, TweakUI, Java, Adobe Reader, Adboe Flash Player, VLC (video player) and AVG.

My next step was going to be to start un-installing things to see if I could find the culprit, but I figured someone here might have a more precise approach.

Edit: Also, in apparently unrelated news, I can't get the annoying "click" noise to stop every time I click a folder in windows explorer. When I disable it in "Sounds and Audio Devices" it turns itself back on next time I open Explorer.

Edited by keller, 04 August 2010 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:12 PM

Did you run a diagnostic on the hard drive...before proceeding with a reinstall?

Doing such...eliminates the possibility of wasted effort, IMO.

Louis

#3 keller

keller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Forgot to mention that, I did run diagnostics on the drive and did a full format as well, so I'm pretty confident it's not the drive itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users