Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

good financial software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 datastrain

datastrain

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

i have a specific need so if anyone has experience maintaining a home budget within a software program would be great to get your feedback. (i've tried money, quicken, etc and even though they all say "automatically track this and that", they don't work like how i describe below; and they're not simple. i could use simple here.

i want a financial program to be able to get my bank account transaction history and automatically categorize each transaction based on some kind of template

for example:
see below table. i want to be able to assign "MCDNLDS" to the category of "Fast Food", and "E-BAY90087" and "TOYS-R-US" to the category of "Shopping" so that i don't have to click on each transaction each month to say "this is that... that is this", etc...

Date.......... Transaction.......... Debit.......... Credit.......... Balance

Aug1.......... E-BAY90087.......... $150.......... ------.......... $500
Aug2.......... TOYS-R-US........... $97.37........ ------.......... $650
Aug2.......... MCDNLDS............. $8.98.......... ------.......... $750

i read a book named "Automatic Millionaire" once it absolutely described how i like to manage money: no thinking, no doing, no clicking, no checking; just set it all up and be on your way... now where's the program that does that?? :thumbsup:
a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

Have you looked at QuickBooks?
I think it will do the categories but it isnt cheap!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 datastrain

datastrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:19 PM

thanks.

i forgot about quickbooks. it does start at $79 which is a bit more than most, so i'll look around a bit more.

i've since been referred to www.mint.com. however, i noticed right away that its essentially an on-line application, and that seems a bit too trusting for my tastes - but it's getting great reviews.
a million monkeys using windows will eventually produce all possible error messages... eventually...

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

QuickBooks used to have a trial version
It was either 30 days or so many uses, I dont remember which
Might be worth looking at to see if it will do what you want
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

thanks.

i forgot about quickbooks. it does start at $79 which is a bit more than most, so i'll look around a bit more.

i've since been referred to www.mint.com. however, i noticed right away that its essentially an on-line application, and that seems a bit too trusting for my tastes - but it's getting great reviews.

If you have a small business you may want to consider Quicken Home & Business. It's a little easier to customize & use.

=SubMariner=

#6 MatheusDebull

MatheusDebull

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

thanks.

mint.com is in the process of being bought by Intuit if it hasn't been done so already.
Probably only a matter of time before it is converted over into a quicken online of sorts

I don't think there is any financial software which will allow you up import based on pre-made templates that you can import from a file, but Quicken has a feature in which you can memorize payees, this allows you to set categories as well. When accessing your bank account in the quicken program hit CTRL+T or go to Banking Tools > Memorize Payee List. Maybe that is what you're looking for? Takes a little bit of getting used to, but it works for what I need it to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users