Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With CCleaner

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 catherine182

catherine182

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hi, I just downloaded CCleaner on my computer. I ran the analysis and now there are a bunch of boxes that are checked off. I read on many other forums that you could delete something important by accident with CCleaner, so I was wondering what is safe to delete? I am completely computer-retarded so I could really use some help. There are two tabs, one for Windows and the other is Applications. I'll put up the list of stuff and if someone could tell me what is safe to delete, it would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Windows
Internet Explorer
The boxes are Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, Recently Typed URLS, Index.dat Files and Last Download Location.
Windows Explorer
The boxes are Recent Documents, Run (in Start Menu), Search Autocomplete, and Other Explorer MRUs
System
The boxes are Empty Recycle Bin, Temporary Files, Clipboard and Memory Dump
Applications
Mozilla/Firefox
The boxes are Cookies, Download History, Internet Cache and Internet History
Applications
The boxes are Adobe Photoshop CS, Google Earth, MS Office Picture Manager, Nero Burning ROM and Office 2003
Internet
The boxes are Sun Java and Windows Live Messenger
Multimedia
The boxes are Adobe Flash Player, DVD Shrink, Quicktime Player, Quicktime Player Cache and Windows Media Player
Utilities
The boxes are WinRAR
Windows
The boxes are MS Managment Console, MS Paint, MS Wordpad and RegEdit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I'm moving this to the Other Applications forum. That said, I see that you are receiving assistance here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/333339/hijackthis-help/ ; therefore, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 ilikefree

ilikefree

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I just downloaded CCleaner on my computer. I ran the analysis and now there are a bunch of boxes that are checked off. I read on many other forums that you could delete something important by accident with CCleaner, so I was wondering what is safe to delete? I am completely computer-retarded so I could really use some help. There are two tabs, one for Windows and the other is Applications. I'll put up the list of stuff and if someone could tell me what is safe to delete, it would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Windows
Internet Explorer
The boxes are Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, Recently Typed URLS, Index.dat Files and Last Download Location.
Windows Explorer
The boxes are Recent Documents, Run (in Start Menu), Search Autocomplete, and Other Explorer MRUs
System
The boxes are Empty Recycle Bin, Temporary Files, Clipboard and Memory Dump
Applications
Mozilla/Firefox
The boxes are Cookies, Download History, Internet Cache and Internet History
Applications
The boxes are Adobe Photoshop CS, Google Earth, MS Office Picture Manager, Nero Burning ROM and Office 2003
Internet
The boxes are Sun Java and Windows Live Messenger
Multimedia
The boxes are Adobe Flash Player, DVD Shrink, Quicktime Player, Quicktime Player Cache and Windows Media Player
Utilities
The boxes are WinRAR
Windows
The boxes are MS Managment Console, MS Paint, MS Wordpad and RegEdit

I would first go to tools, cookies, and drag the cookies you want to keep to the right side.I have found no harm will come from leaving the rest set to their default settings

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

ilikefree, catherine182 has an active HJT Log which is being addressed by one our HJT team members. This is why Orange Blossom has instructed catherine182 not to make any changes. More importantly, she was also instructed not to make any changes unless they are from the HJT team member that is working with her on this log.

I recognize that your intentions were only to help, but in this case you can best help by allowing the HJT team do their job. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

To avoid any confusion, I am closing this topic.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users