Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Service Agent?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 04:47 PM

A popup box that say:

ZoneAlarm Service Agent

Your computer could be infected with spyware. Find out by using the ZoneAlarm spyware scanner. Would you like to scan your system now?

Update now

Remind me later

Have to choose one of those options and then OK.

Is this legit or one of those foistware things I read about here at BC?? It won't close with the X or by right clicking at the top and choosing 'close'. I've never seen this before in a year that I've been using it, so I'm worried to do anything without finding out if it's legit.

I almost tried to do a screen shot (just because I learned how last night from BC Tutorials) but opted NOT. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your time and help on this.
Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:13 PM

I did a search on ZoneAlarm Service Agent and found a forum http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=345543 which seemed to have some conflicting answers. Not sure what to do.....

A couple of things I read at this forum on this subject which concern me also:

Zonealarm is vulnerable to the
SelfDOS-Attack. Zonealarm cannot prevent any application from
"phoning home", because tunneling is easy. But in their advertising,
Zonelabs is assuring this. Zonealarm can be deactivated from any
Malware, which is running already, by inserting rules, because
Zonealarm has no password after installation. And if they would have
one, the malware just has to wait until the user enters it anytime.
The "ID and privacy protection" feature even is counterproductive -
it's resulting in publicizing the data, not protecting it.

and

I noticed that later versions, even if you turn off the automatic
check for updates feature, insisted on 'calling home' anyway without my
permission. I don't allow software to remain installed if it does that.

and

Try watching it with Netpeeker. I too once caught ZA calling home without
permission, and netpeeker is the tool that caught it.

I've come to trust you all here and only looked there because it was the first thing I came to while doing my search. So see, I do try to help myself, but still find that I'm just so leary (or lily-livered! haha!)....

ETA: Oh yeah, they also said to check the update box on the ZA---mine says it's up-to-date. They also said to uncheck Automatic Updates but that's not going to get rid of the box.

I'm so confuuuuuused............ :thumbsup:

ETA again: AND the guy they were helping, his popup was slightly different than mine. HIS said:

ZoneAlarm Service Agent
-----------------------
An Important Internet Security Update is available
(version 5.5.094.000)
Do you want to get the update now?

[Yes] [Remind me later]

I'm sorry to be so troublesome. :flowers:

Edited by Lily Livered, 26 October 2005 - 05:22 PM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

#3 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

Funny, now almost an hour later, my ZA says "an update is available"...

BUT the update says:

You cannot access this page with your current browser settings or because you have not installed the ActiveX control file.

I thought ActiveX was something bad? Now something legit is telling me that I need it.
Can you understand now why I get so confused about what to do at times like these?

And I think I've pulled a big no-no by adding all these posts to my original question; it's just that upon further investigation I found all these other questions. Just shoot me!!

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:29 PM

Hi Lily Livered

ActiveX is not necessarily bad all the time. Its used by those online Virus Scanners and some Game sites for legitimate reasons.

They also said to uncheck Automatic Updates but that's not going to get rid of the box.

Did you do that? If not, then do so. I've heard that the latest ZoneAlarm update is buggy so wait awhile if you decide to get it. If you can't get rid of the box just tell it to remind you again in 30 days or whatever.

Your computer could be infected with spyware. Find out by using the ZoneAlarm spyware scanner. Would you like to scan your system now?

This is not Foistware but a legitimate ZoneAlarm product. You don't need to use it though if you have programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Lily Livered

Lily Livered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

Oh Leury, thank you so much!!! Hug!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users