Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to install an antivirus programme

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 zapoj

zapoj

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hello!

I sure hope this first part is unrelevant, but will add it to the story too;
My one and a half year old Asus laptop (Windows Vista OS) has had a difficult last couple of months. Only about three months or so ago when tried starting my computer, it wouldn't start. I'd get to the options (Safe Mode etc), but none of them would let me get past that screen. So, as they didn't send any discs with the laptop I created my own repair disc from this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-dont-have-one/

Which worked just fine. I suspect one too many times turning-off-computer-directly-from-the-on-button-in-a-hurry-to-leave was the cause of poor laptop not wanting to wake up that time.

Since then have only had minor glitches or problems, - or at least I thought they were minor since I don't remember anything specific being wrong or annoying. Now we're getting to my current problem.

My avast! antivirus programme had expired and it had urged me to update from 4.8 (I think that's what I had) to avast!5. The pop-up urging me to do so didn't look too trustworthy, with loud colours and just an unattractive design, so didn't update for... hm, probably a month, maybe two. Today I got a virus alert (I'm not sure which programme was giving the alert as I also had an outdated Norton Antivirus programme also running still, - I hadn't gotten around to remove it completely) but the alert kicked me in to action and I visited avast!'s website to update.

It (avast!5) installed fine but said that the "side-by-side configuration has failed" and thus couldn't open. Tried installing Avira instead but it doesn't get past trying to install. So then, having had looked around the internet for advice, tried AVG which, of course, doesn't quite install either. - And AVG had me uninstall the old Norton I had so that AVG could install instead. Grr.

So now, unprotected and starting to feel very vulnerable and worried at what's going on - and from reading on other forums, suspecting a virus may be involved. ( :thumbsup: )

Would appreciate any advice or insight as to what to do about this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users