Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impending failure?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Griggle

Griggle

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

I'm honestly at a loss to what my problem could be but the symptoms are an EXTREMELY lengthy time at the windows xp splash screen with an estimated time in the 10~20 minute range and accidental log outs (the computer read the home key as held down even when it wasn't).

Restarts take a good chunk of time and in general start up is a real slow drag, if this is my only problem i'm not worried but i fear something else could happen and i'd like to take the initiative and get some help.

I recently asked for help but since then, after a few weeks of great performance i experienced this slowdown. Recently my computer has been slowing up when i try to play my online games while running music but like i said i have yet to have any serious system failures and this problem doesn't persist often.

Any ideas as to what could cause the drag on start up though?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EverWin

EverWin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

Hi

What Antivirus is Installed or your PC has more than two Antivirus at same time?

Control Panel>>User Accounts>>Create New User

Log-Off

Log-In new account, tell us if tht improve booting speed.

Regards,
EverWin

#3 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

I have AVG and malwarebytes and logging in the new user wouldn't help as it's slow up until i reach the user screen

#4 EverWin

EverWin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

try this as well...

start/run/msconfig>>StartUp>>Disable all>>reboot>>Logon to new User account (Do Not disable services, be careful)

#5 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

if that new user works fine...then what your sugest next??? delete the old account??

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Alternatively (if self/custom-built) motherboard manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

System Manufacturer: IBM
Model: 9210RUS X86-based PC

My problem is after a restart the duration between me pressing the button and the windows Splash (with the blue underbar) going away is near 20 minutes

#8 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

i deleted all other user accounts including an OWL one that i don't remember setting up/nor having access to.

#9 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

So my failure has impunded :| and i know a general idea of what's wrong, my Hard drive light is ALWAYS on and i can't get the computer to boot for any reason no safe, no last known, no nothing

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long test, not short) on your hard drive.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Many of the diagnostics come in .iso format and must be burned to CD, resulting in a bootable CD containing the diagnostic utility which runs independent of the hard drive/Windows.

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

Louis

#11 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

i did the following: downloaded the iso to a dvd and ran the dvd in my failing computer, i set it as a temporary startup device so it would read the disc first and then proceeded to do a scan, after an hour or so i recieved a red message stating that a sector was corrupted and my options were repair or erase, i chose repair and got the following message

SERIAL S8RSJSGM
Failure code 0x75 defective device
technical result code 7510A910

soooooo should i try to erase the sector? what exactly would that entail

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

If you have a Hitachi hard drive...and ran the Drive Fitness Test...I'd say that you should be looking for a new hard drive.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/dft32_userguide.pdf

Louis

#13 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Understood thanks for getting me that diagnosis kit

#14 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

I replaced the hard disk from this computer with the older one from my computer with a bad power supply, and it works but i'm getting some errors in device manager specifically, the SM bus controller, video controller, video controller (VGA compatible), and the SCSI/RAID Host controller.

How do i find the drivers for these products?

#15 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

that depends.

a different hard drive means you no longer have the drivers. it would have been great if you could have used a program like driver max to backup the drivers while you had a chance.

sometimes you just need to go to the website of the computer manufacturer and they have the drivers available. other times you have to actually reasearch the motherboard and hunt for the drivers. occasionally it's not so easy. once in a while the name of the motherboard is not even on it.

post as much info about your computer and your motherboard as you can. i am not an expert, but i'm not half bad either. if i can't help you, maybe someone else will come along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users